Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Repainting 60's Duco Club Date - HELP!

Hi all. I have some questions on repainting a blue/silver duco Club Date.

1) How can I find out the exact colors to use? I'm painting over existing colors.

2) What kind of paint was used on them in early 60's - Enamel?

3) What kind of clear coat do I put over it?

.....thanks in advance for the help!

Posted on 14 years ago

From Brian Pelky

Hi all. I have some questions on repainting a blue/silver duco Club Date. 1) How can I find out the exact colors to use? I'm painting over existing colors.2) What kind of paint was used on them in early 60's - Enamel?3) What kind of clear coat do I put over it?.....thanks in advance for the help!

Finding the exact colors may be a bit of a challenge. Perhaps someone here on the forum has duplicated the blue/silver? It is quite possible that the colors were popular car colors from the same period because Duco was an automotive finish.

Duco was a nitrocellulose lacquer developed by DuPont in the 1920's for the automobile industry and remained a popular choice of the auto manufactures into the 1960's. And, as you well know, Duco was also a popular drum finish.

Nitrocellulose lacquers are increasingly difficult to find today because of their high VOC content. Even the more modern acrylic lacquers are becoming difficult to find as well.

I would suggest that you take a drum shell to a local automotive paint supplier. An acrylic urethane base coat/clear coat finishing system may be the way to go. They may even be able to scan the colors for a reasonably accurate match.

I should also mention that any of these automotive paint materials are dangerous to breathe and are best applied with professional equipment.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="Sienna"]Tim hit it right. An auto paint shop can do a good match on old ducos. I use a motorcycle detailing place here in town to match up ducos. I am not sure a non-pro can pull it off (not that I don't have faith in you :o)[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Sounds like you'd want an air compressor and a standard auto painting spray setup, plus something like a piano stool you could spin it around on.

It might not be too hard with some practice, maybe a helper to spin it.

Posted on 14 years ago

Do you have any pictures of the set?

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here