Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Removing/Saving A Ludalloy Label

Hey all…..I was talking with PurdieShuffle (John) yesterday. I have a very special last-from-Chicago Supra (no serial number, large transition badge and bowtie lugs…yes, bowties) that has some flaking. I was talking with John about stripping the chrome and polishing the shell like he did on the one that he posted photos of some time ago.

The question came up: what to do to save the Ludalloy label inside the shell. I can of course take off the badge and reapply it afterwards but the label is very important.

So, what say you all: if you've had to take a label off, how did you do it so as to save it for reapplying later. Very interested to hear your comments and suggestions!

Jim Lersch in Nixa/Branson, MO
Posted on 11 years ago

Here is something that you can try , Run a hair blowdryer over the decal just to heat up the glue and use a very thin scraper or debit card to lift the decal . This methode seems to work for me and i would use this methode aging . i can't think of any sovlent or cleaning type stuff that you can use that would not cause more problems . HEAT AND PICK at it SLOW AND I MEAN SLOW.

80's 13 pc sonor signature
1979 12 pc ludwig power factory
Posted on 11 years ago

Similar to what John suggested, thanks for your input. Still would like to hear from more of you....as in another way that you all have tried that really worked. I don't want to mess this up since this is a 1984 snare (that's al 8 collect) but having the no-serial number badge and the Bowie lugs I thi 8it's going to appreciate in value.

Posted on 11 years ago

stem and the easterner would call steam in sand pebbles with Steve McQueen

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 11 years ago

Is the label paper or vinyl? Can you post a pic?

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

Are you polishing the inside of the shell?

Is it badly pitted inside?

If not bad inside, maybe leave it alone.

MAYBE!......Here is an idea when and if you decide to remove it and if things go bad and label doesn't make it.

Take a good picture of the label before you start removal.

Take a few pics dead on square of the face.

Have the image scanned and transferred to a decal.

There may already be an nice image of that sticker somewhere.

copyrights? we dont need.................

BTW, I have never done this.

Purdie Shuffler will chime in.

BTW, I just had a Slingy bronze shell polished.

I opted not to do the inside.

but bronze does not pit AFAIK

Just thinkin

SA

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 11 years ago

The problem is that to strip the shell of the chrome, it has to be submerged in a tank. That's why I need to figure this out before I go any ****her. As far as a photo, I could certainly angle that since I do it for a living. I believe that it's paper, very thin.

Posted on 11 years ago

I get it........ the acid dip.

That will eat paper.

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 11 years ago

> Purdie Shuffler will chime in.

I was the one who suggested that he put up a thread and ask you guys. I've never had occasion to remove and replace one of those inside labels, so it's something I have no experience with. I like the, "heating the shell with a hair blower and peeling carefully" idea the best so far.

I'm following the thread hoping to learn a new trick from one of you.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

Very thin paper = the worst kind. Sounds like the old gum stock labels. These were just a thin matte or uncoated paper with a gum arabic base glue on the back. Not the peel and stick kind. You would just moisten the back of the label on a damp sponge (or lick it yuck!) and stick it on whatever. In time the glue seeps into the paper making them VERY hard to remove. Solvent with destroy it. Steam may help but the moisture can also make it wrinkle and break down further though. I think the hair dryer idea is good to try. Dry heat. Use the hairdryer on the outside of the shell to slowly heat the label area inside.

Taking a good digital pic and scanning it to recreate a new label is a good idea. Just photo and document the process if you plan to sell down the road for the next guy.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here