Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Removing wrap glue residue

There used to be a solvent that did this. Seems the clean green way involves more heat. But I am concerned about this too. I just want to clean off left over glue from a vintage snare shell . . . Thanks.

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

There used to be a solvent that did this. Seems the clean green way involves more heat. But I am concerned about this too. I just want to clean off left over glue from a vintage snare shell . . . Thanks.

I removed old hardened duct tape residue from a finish using WD40....not sure if it will work for wrap glue but it might be worth a try.....

Posted on 16 years ago

If you're taking it off the shell, I would be careful to use a solvent without a smelly oily base because this will tend to stay in the wood pores and you will have a smelly shell. Someone on here wanted to use lighter fluid a while ago and I could just imagine how that shell would smell for years to come. I don't know about WD40....it seems to me to have a pretty heavy odor. I would think a laquer thinner or straight alcohol would be the best bets. I use these to wipe down wood before refinishing.....also gets rid of dust and small particles.

Suggestions only for what its worth.

Posted on 16 years ago

zip strip or simalar paint remover works great and is easy to use. Do not use wd40 or any oil based solvent as stated before it will soak into the wood and also makes the new glue not work as well,or tape whichever meathod you use..

Posted on 16 years ago

zip strip or simalar paint remover works great and is easy to use. Do not use wd40 or any oil based solvent as stated before it will soak into the wood and also makes the new glue not work as well,or tape whichever meathod you use..

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for the tips!

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 16 years ago

Bix makes a product called "Tuff Job" stripper. This is a thicker consistency and actually dissolves old glue, epoxy, etc. Make sure you follow the directions though. They recommend cleaning the surface afterwards with mineral spirits and a fine steel wool will get all of the old glue out of the grooves.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here