Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Removing the hinge pin at the heel plate on a Speed King foot board

Greetings,

I mentioned in another thread that I received a Speed King today that I purchased online. It's in pretty poor shape, but I can resurrect it, and it was only $20. As is common, the holes on either side of the heel plate (where the hinge is on the actual pedal frame that hooks on to the main chassis)) are elongated and "chewed". I want to remove the hinge pin and I plan on replacing it with a same size screw and stop nut with nylon washers to correct the sloppiness and prevent further wear. Here's my question:

What's the best way to remove the hinge pin at the heel plate? There doesn't seem to be a good way to get at it. I don't care about saving it, because I am going to use a brand new screw, so I don't care if the pin gets destroyed in the process.

Thanks,

V

Posted on 5 years ago

It`s a tapered pin. it will only come out one way. I knocked mine out once with a hammer and awl. If you are sitting behind it facing the pedal on the BD, it came out the left side. there is a "Jesus clip" or pinch washer, holding it in place so pop that off first on the newer ones, the old ones have the pin peened or rose`d over so you may need to grind the mushroom head off first.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 5 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

Mine is older with no clip. Both ends of the pin have a "head" on them that prevents them from pulling out/through. I have a Dremel with cutoff wheels, so I may not try to cut the head off using that. It's pretty tight though. There is barely any room in between the hinge pin head and the pedal frame.

So if the pin is tapered and only comes out one way, I'll want to cut off the head on the right side ("Spring" lettering) and remove it from the left side ("Twin" lettering), correct?

Posted on 5 years ago

That`s the way mine went, I have the retaining clip, but I think they all go in the same way. The pin is soft steel and you should be able to squeeze the head with needle nose pliers. If not, pointy tin snips.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here