Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Removing Spray Paint from 80's Acrolite

Hello everybody. I'm going to be attempting to restore an 80's Ludwig Acrolite snare that some knuckle head did a terrible job spray painting all of the hardware and powder coated shell.

I was hoping somebody might have some experience removing paint from these drums without damaging the powder coat underneath.

I know somebody on here used Jasco paint remover on one of these to remove the powder coat, so I was wondering if maybe a lacquer finish might do the trick?

I'm really hoping I can keep the original powder coat so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Posted on 10 years ago

From stoltzfusdrums

Hello everybody. I'm going to be attempting to restore an 80's Ludwig Acrolite snare that some knuckle head did a terrible job spray painting all of the hardware and powder coated shell.I was hoping somebody might have some experience removing paint from these drums without damaging the powder coat underneath.I know somebody on here used Jasco paint remover on one of these to remove the powder coat, so I was wondering if maybe a lacquer finish might do the trick?I'm really hoping I can keep the original powder coat so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Maybe you can start with paint thinner and/or wet sanding? Paint thinner is pretty mild...at least when compared to Jasco. I've actually used Jasco to take off the powdercoat finish on an Acro before...then I had it professionally polished at a chrome shop...then I sold it.

- EMD
Posted on 10 years ago

Always try hot water first...

It might have been painted because the original finish was in bad shape...On the plus side the bare aluminum with some wax should look cool.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
50's WFL/Ludwig Black Super Classic
60's Ludwig Silver Sparkle Club Date
Posted on 10 years ago

As EMD says, if it's been painted with rattle can enamel then paint thinners will remove it and probably not harm the powdercoating. I've done it with a couple of chrome snares and no damage occurred to the chrome or the printed badge. I just soaked rags in thinners and wrapped them around the shell, left for a few minutes and the paint would easily rub off.

2 attachments
Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks for the advice everybody I had assumed thinner would do the job but figured I'd ask. I'm fairly new to restoring drums so I've been pretty cautious before attempting anything I'm not familiar with. Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend.

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here