Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Removing Reinforcement rings

Hi,

I found an old 15" WFL marching snare That is pretty beat up. The edges are a mess. The gold glitter wrap is even worse. There is a spot on the side of the drum where there is a clean horizontal crack in the side of the drum. Luckily for me it's in a spot that will allow me to do something I normally wouldn't do.

I have decided that I am going to cut the drum into two pieces and make 2 new drums out of it. A 6 1/2 x 15 and a 5 x 15. That being said, I am going to install 2 new reinforcement rings since there will be 2 eges that need them. I would prefer to have 1 drum (the 6 1/2) with the original solid maple re-rings and the other drum with new maple rings from precisiondrum.com

My question is, how can I get the top ring off of the edge of the drum without ruining it (the ring) so that I can glue it onto the new edge of the 6 1/2?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]...answer: very carefully.

(rimshot) Toilet

OK...wow, I mean....I wouldn't try it, personally. Just go with 2 drums each with one original re-ring and one new re-ring. Let the new-ringed sides be the res/snare side. If you are handy with a router or know someone who is...you should be able to do a pretty close reproduction of an old Luddy edge...their profiles aren't all that complex, really.....

(....maybe I am being a wuss...but.....if you start pulling that ring and it takes the inner ply with it....it could turn into a mess.....)

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

I agree with Jaye. I do a lot of shell work, and that is not something I would do willing.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

From Monkeyballs3

Hi,I found an old 15" WFL marching snare That is pretty beat up. The edges are a mess. The gold glitter wrap is even worse. There is a spot on the side of the drum where there is a clean horizontal crack in the side of the drum. Luckily for me it's in a spot that will allow me to do something I normally wouldn't do.I have decided that I am going to cut the drum into two pieces and make 2 new drums out of it. A 6 1/2 x 15 and a 5 x 15. That being said, I am going to install 2 new reinforcement rings since there will be 2 eges that need them. I would prefer to have 1 drum (the 6 1/2) with the original solid maple re-rings and the other drum with new maple rings from precisiondrum.comMy question is, how can I get the top ring off of the edge of the drum without ruining it (the ring) so that I can glue it onto the new edge of the 6 1/2?Thanks in advance!

First you have to get between the ply of the drum and the re-ring, no easy task, unless it's started to separate. I removed 2 rings, but the drum was hashed, so I didn't care what happened.

The only way to get the glue soft is to soak it in water, a very thin coping saw would be able to separate the two, but be prepared for some filling of wood gaps when you put the new one in..

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here