Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

removing pitting/rust from dynasonic

Have a couple of dynasonics I am working on and would like to remove the hardward and clean and polish the units from scratch and reassemble..

any suggestions on cleaning up pitting on the lugs, tension rods, rims etc..

I don't want to use any abrasives ..

I had heard from some folks to use 0000 steel wool on the llugs, rods and rims..but have not tryed..

If I do that would it be best to follow ;up with a buffing wheel

how about cleaning up pitting on the shell itself..it really does look good but would should I do for a fine cleaning before I start reassembly..

1965 slingerland Solo-Pink Champagne
1966-Rogers Dynasonic Chrome over brass Snare
1974-Rogers Dynasonic Chrome over brass Snare
1964-Slingerland RadioKing Chrome Snare
Posted on 14 years ago

As a owner of 5 Dynas that were in fair to bad shape, I would like to comment.

Soap Box

Don't use anything other than a chrome polish. Try your local auto parts store. Simichrome is the one I'm gonna try after I'm done with this blue stuff I use, whose name I can't remember.

I tried aluminum foil, it does scratch lightly. I tried a test of 2 areas on the outside of a heavily pitted COB snare. The foil took off the rust, but so did the polish, just needed more work.

I also recommend having a 3 or 4 point process of polishing with different cloths. 1 for the heavy, 2nd to get off the residue, 3rd for polish and buffing, 4th for finish. Makes it easier for me to get them clean and stay clean.

I've also experimented with WD-40 with wonderful results. You can try a very light steel wool, but I think anything other than a liquid polish will scratch, lightly and/or noticeable. Use WD-40 to clean in all those cracks that are hard to get with polish, or to remove the polish you can't wipe clean.

Good Luck

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

I have heard 20 stories about things to use including the soft steel wool. However I use only baking soda, a little water, to make a paste, and a soft toothbrush-- you will be amazed at how effective it is. I have cleaned up a number of really old and gunked up drums with this method. I swear by it.

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 14 years ago

The actual pitting will be there to stay. Rust is tough to remove.

Here's what I would recommend to you:

Soak this stuff in dishwashing soap or cola over night. You'll be amazed at how much rust will flake right off.

Try Nevr dull cloths (probably available at the hardware store) and some elbow grease to get some more off.

Buff them down real well with those car buffing cloths.

Flitz metal polish does wonders too.

Don't use steel wool, no matter how fine grade it is.

Posted on 14 years ago

with the wd-40 do you spray it and leave it on overnight or for a couple hours or what...

as far as the aluminum foil..what exactly do you do with that..roll up in a ball and just rubb the spots..??

Posted on 14 years ago

Hey osakabop..doesnt the baking soda scratch..I know people use backing soda for teething whitning and cleaning and I sort of thought that is was because there was abrasive in it..??

Posted on 14 years ago

Hey K,

Well, it does feel a little chalky to the touch, but I wouldn`t think of it as an abrasive in it`s primary action. I was told it`s the alkaline nature of it that works with the rubbing to remove the rust. I appreciate that everyone has there own way and their own products, but for me- baking soda and water has worked effectively many times, is a safe chemical to use and cheap to buy. Here in Japan I can get a bag of it for about 89cents and it can do the rims for a whole drum set. I can see no scratching to my eyes- however I also use aluminum foil for heavy rust. If I was restoring a museum level drum- a true 5-10,000$ masterpiece snare- I would use an actual chrome polish.

Using aluminum foil DOES mildly scratch the surface- however it does remove little rust mountains pretty easily. You make it into a ball, add a little water to it and then rub it vigorously over the rust mountain. It`s suprisingly effective. The scratching is not severe and it works well- I wouldn`t use this to restore a museum piece.

*Amedia Cymbals Japan

Posted on 14 years ago

You could try oxalic acid, used to remove rust from boats and stuff.

This is one of my Dynas (English) before and after a couple of hours in the stuff.

It is corrosive and requires the use of eye and skin protection but very low in labour.

Sorry about the big pictures, I couldn't work out the thumbnail thing.

2 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Nutbox, impressive results!

*Amedia Cymbals Japan

Posted on 14 years ago

nutbox..pretty sweet results...where did you get the oxalic acid (spelling?)

is this a skull and crossbones kinda thing that isn't available anymore or can this be gotten at a hardware store..

what all did you have to do..brush on and wait or ?

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here