Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Removing paint from lugs

I picked up a set of Club Date lugs on eBay--not sure yet whether they're chrome or nickel, but the price was right either way.

When they arrived, I discovered that someone had spray-painted them silver. It comes off when I give it a good scraping with my thumbnail, but I'm hoping to find a more efficient means of paint removal that won't damage the metal plating under the paint. Any suggestions?

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 15 years ago

Acetone is a very strong paint remover. Paint thinner is cheaper but generally doesn't work as good.

A common (but expensive way to buy it) version is fingernail polish remover - you may have some for those "special nights on the town".

I've never heard of it bothering metal plated surfaces but as always test a small spot somewhere. I would think there'd be no problem. You might want rubber gloves though.

Posted on 15 years ago

I've used lacquer thinner for this purpose before and it worked well. Be careful though - it's nasty stuff. I used gloves and a toothbrush and it ate through the rubber gloves.... It definitely loosened up the paint though!

-Lee

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here