Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Removing Paint from an vintage Ludwig blue sparkle bass drum

Hey folks,

Just wanted to find out some info on the proper and safe way to remove oil based paint from a vintage 50's WFL Ludwig bass drum that i'm considering picking up for a possible resell, or maybe to keep as a player's drum... It's a blue sparkle bass drum, (my favorite sparkle finish) but seems to need quite a bit of work..

It's missing a hoop, t-rods and claws, tension rods, and if i'm not mistaken the spurs as well.. I think for a bass drum this beat up, he's asking a bit too much.($200 cdn) I was thinking maybe i can haggle him down to a $100.. I've posted a link to the ad so you can see for yourselves..

Any thoughts, info, or suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated..

cheers !

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-batterie-percussion/ouest-de-lile-qc/vintage-1950s-wfl-ludwig-22-bass-drum/1018641567?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Posted on 10 years ago

that's a lot of missing parts and work even for 100 but if so use any stripper that's friendly it won't harm the blue sparkle lacquer....

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 10 years ago

Ok, that's what i figured, something like Circa 1850 paint and varnish thinner and remover.. I'm going to see how long he keeps his ad for that ridiculous amount, and then i will give him an offer.. So do you think something around $75. for the shell is good enough ?

Posted on 10 years ago

Use Motzenbocker's Grafitti Remover #4. Spray on, wipe off.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 10 years ago

Hey guys..Thanks to both of you for the advice.. Seems that the guy's not budging price wise, and it looks like it won't be sold any time soon.. Will he cave in to my demands ?

stay tuned ! ;))

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here