Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Removing glue from shells?

I am restoring a 70's Slingerland kit, and have the wraps removed. Do I need to remove the old glue before I re-wrap the shell? It seems like it would be extremely hard to get it off. If I need to remove it, how do should I go about it? Thank in advance!

Nick

Posted on 12 years ago

Yes you need to remove old glue if not you will get bumps on new wrap. best way to remove use a glue or paint remover solvent once you remove sand down to even out any residue with a thin sand paper then reapply new glue in an even coat.

Posted on 12 years ago

From cuquito717

Yes you need to remove old glue if not you will get bumps on new wrap. best way to remove use a glue or paint remover solvent once you remove sand down to even out any residue with a thin sand paper then reapply new glue in an even coat.

I tried using some citristrip, and it took the glue off, but now I have a goopy mess on my shell. After scraping in it left a tacky residue on there that I cant get off. I tried rubbing it with mineral spirits, and superfine steel wool, but no luck. Any suggestion on how to get the residue off. I am afraid if I sand it it will just dig it into the grain. I plan on re-wrapping these, and this shell is a test shell that I was not planning on using because of its condition. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Posted on 12 years ago

I used Kleen-Strip gel on my last project and it really worked well. I found that it seemed to work best if you scrape within 5 mins of applying it. After I finished getting off the old glue, I just rubbed the shells with denatured alcohol and they were completely glue-free and ready to be sanded. Be careful, wear rubber gloves and only use it outside though, it's nasty stuff.

1976 Ludwig SBP Big Beats
1979/83 Tama Superstar Frankenkit
Modern Ludwig Black Beauty
1950's WFL 8X15 Snare
Posted on 12 years ago

If you use the Search function and type in xylol and xylene, you will find some threads about using those products for glue removal.

Kevin
Posted on 12 years ago

From scottyb

I used Kleen-Strip gel on my last project and it really worked well. I found that it seemed to work best if you scrape within 5 mins of applying it. After I finished getting off the old glue, I just rubbed the shells with denatured alcohol and they were completely glue-free and ready to be sanded. Be careful, wear rubber gloves and only use it outside though, it's nasty stuff.

Ok. I found that I am going to need to do multiple treatments with the citristrip. The first pass gets rid of most of the glue from the surface, and then I had to go around again to remove more of the residue. I let is sit overnight, and it looks like I will maybe have to do one more light pass then clean it with alcohol or mineral spirits, and it should be good. I may go get something stronger when I work on the actual shells I am restoring. Thanks for the info everyone, it is greatly appreciated!

Nick

Posted on 12 years ago

this is a age old pain in the aspirin. Everyone or most everyone here has dealt with it. I spent the last 2 mornings elbow greaseing two chrome hoops getting off glue residue. I did have good luck with the Citristrip on a 16" floor shell. You have to scrap it after it sits, in my case over night. and I know that fine sheen that is still there on shells after you think you have it all off.

I would not recomend sanding. It just spreads it all over the shell. I have found that WD40 works as a last step to removeing that sheen. I have used, paint thinner, goof off, goo gone, citristrip, acetone, and as mentioned earlier xylene, xylene cuts it pretty good. Still it is a pain and I hope someone finds something that is a good wipe off. Still hopeing.

Posted on 12 years ago

Remover's you have to work quickly if not you get glob messes.You have to do small areas at a time not the full drum. Use sand paper you will not hurt drum use in gauges from medium to fine. Sponge sand paper is very good for these type of jobs.

Posted on 12 years ago

From cuquito717

Remover's you have to work quickly if not you get glob messes.You have to do small areas at a time not the full drum. Use sand paper you will not hurt drum use in gauges from medium to fine. Sponge sand paper is very good for these type of jobs.

It seems like I am having luck with some super fine steel wool and mineral spirits as the final clean up.

Last Question: Once all of the glue is removed and the shell is once again bare. Do I need to apply any type of sealer etc. before I re-wrap? Thanks again everyone, and I will be sure to post pictures when these are complete.

nick

Posted on 12 years ago

From canidrum2

It seems like I am having luck with some super fine steel wool and mineral spirits as the final clean up. Last Question: Once all of the glue is removed and the shell is once again bare. Do I need to apply any type of sealer etc. before I re-wrap? Thanks again everyone, and I will be sure to post pictures when these are complete. nick

No you do not have to put any sealer just put an even coat of new glue. and comb it down so you do not get air bubbles on new wrap.

By the way steel wool good choose also.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here