Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Removing Dents from COB Snare Drum Shell

Any good advise to offer on removing dents from COB snare drum shells will be appreciated, with particular reference to 5-line 6-1/2 depth Dynasonics with dents at the tension casings?

Thanks,

Posted on 2 years ago

Rubber mallet from the inside against a hard surface. Have pounded out a few dents on a carpeted floor.

Remove all hardware first, of course

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 2 years ago

From latzanimal

Rubber mallet from the inside against a hard surface. Have pounded out a few dents on a carpeted floor. Remove all hardware first, of course

Thanks latzanimal. Were you able to find a rubber mallet with a slightly curved face? I'm thinking that most have flat faces and trying to fully remove the dent could lead to creases in the shell where the mallet edge is hitting the metal.

Posted on 2 years ago

I know that some 'press" out the dings with large C-claps and wood blocks.

1974-75 Rogers Starlighter IV New England White 13/16/22 (w/Dyna)
1964-67 Rogers Blue Glass Glitter 12/14/16/20
early Oaklawn Camco Blue Moire 12/14/20
1926 Super Ludwig 5x14
1960-ish Ludwig COB 5x14 Super Sensitive
1960-ish Ludwig COB 6.5x14 Super Sensitive
1970 Ludwig COB Cut-Badge 5x14 Supra Phonic

Looking for a Camco Aristocrat SD in Blue Moire!!
Posted on 2 years ago

A related item: I had a COB snare drum hoop that was bent from the drum being dropped. I traced the curvature of the hoop on a block of wood and used a hand-held jig saw to cut a convex shaped piece. Place that against the bent hoop and hammer away. I did this in the garage on a piece of carpeting over the concrete floor. My "fix" wasn't perfect - the hoop will never again be perfectly round - but I was satisfied with the result.

Good luck, MB

Posted on 2 years ago

The methods listed will work to different degrees and one person may get the dent out while another using the same method may make it worse. There are too many variables to say any one method will work to your satisfaction. It all depends on how good you want it to look.

If you want it to be completely invisible, take it to an auto body shop that does paintless dent removal (PDR). It should be completely undetectable when they are done. I have no idea what they would charge, but I had over 100 dents on my car from a bad hail storm and they got them out completely. I would take the heads and wires off and all of the hardware so they have full access and so nothing gets damaged in the process.

Posted on 2 years ago

I used the rubber mallet approach on a pearl export steel snare that had a huge dent from being dropped on the throw off,I removed the throw and and about half the lugs,and impressed the non dented part into sand then placed the dented section in that.I used a towel folded over a few times on the inside

Which helped not to wrinkle the metal.Wasn`t perfect but you really couldn't see it from a couple feet away.

Posted on 2 years ago

Could a picture be posted to possibly help show this particular damage?

Posted on 2 years ago

From Dan Boucher

Thanks latzanimal. Were you able to find a rubber mallet with a slightly curved face? I'm thinking that most have flat faces and trying to fully remove the dent could lead to creases in the shell where the mallet edge is hitting the metal.

Already had a curved head hammer.

However, if the curve is too small, you will run the risk of making it worse or over correcting.

Rubber mallets are fairly cheap, you could always cut, sand, create your own curve on a mallet

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 2 years ago

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions gents. As to pictures of the dents, here they are.

4 attachments
54.1 kB
63.5 kB
43.4 kB
54.3 kB
Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here