Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Removing dark stain from Radio King (inside)

I like buying old Radio King snare shells for cheap and making them players again. Probably a loosing proposition.

I recently picked up my 3rd shell and began stripping it. The wrap had already been removed and replaced by some ugly stain and polyurethane. Yuk. I'll probably re-wrap it which solves only half the problem.

The trouble is someone stained the inside of the shell with what looks like a dark Minwax Provincial stain. I'd really like to return the interior to a bare maple finish. I haven't started on the inside yet but I was going to start with mineral spirits and 3/0 steel wool to try to loosen the stain so I can wipe it up with paper towels. I'm trying not to drive the stain any deeper into the wood fiber. I understand that maple is very hard and does not accept stain easily. I'm hoping this is the case.

If anyone has a good method for this please let me know.

I'll post some pics tonight.

Thanks,

Mark

Here's my last project:

http://s646.photobucket.com/user/mschmitz57/library/Slingerland%20Restoration?sort=3&page=1

Posted on 10 years ago

Solvents will stain too. Straight sandpaper, on a drum sander or by hand with a lot of time. I recommend sanding by hand. Palm sanders leave marks too.

Thick sponge, wrapped in sandpaper and lots of time on your hands.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here