Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Removing Chrome-o-wood wrap

Anyone have any tips to SUCCESSFULLY remove metal chrome-o-wood wrap? I've attempted this once before on a late 80's Ludwig maching quad drum shell that was going to be a bass drum conversion. Note I said GOING TO BE, it was unsuccessful to say the least. The top ply of the shell pretty much came up with the wrap. I ask for help here as I recently purchased a Niles era Slingerland 8x12 tom that is in chrome-o-wood (and its in rough shape) and plan on stripping the stuff of and finishing the sell in natural maple (assuming that I find maple under the chrome, otherwise I'll do a maple laminate over the mahogany, if it turns out to be mahogany) and do NOT want a repeat of the last disaster.

Also, what are the chances of me actually finding maple as the outer ply to the shell rather than mahogany wood? It is a 3-ply shell with reinforcement rings and was described as "70's era" in the auction listing.

Posted on 13 years ago

From Ludwig-dude

Anyone have any tips to SUCCESSFULLY remove metal chrome-o-wood wrap? I've attempted this once before on a late 80's Ludwig maching quad drum shell that was going to be a bass drum conversion. Note I said GOING TO BE, it was unsuccessful to say the least. The top ply of the shell pretty much came up with the wrap. I ask for help here as I recently purchased a Niles era Slingerland 8x12 tom that is in chrome-o-wood (and its in rough shape) and plan on stripping the stuff of and finishing the sell in natural maple (assuming that I find maple under the chrome, otherwise I'll do a maple laminate over the mahogany, if it turns out to be mahogany) and do NOT want a repeat of the last disaster.Also, what are the chances of me actually finding maple as the outer ply to the shell rather than mahogany wood? It is a 3-ply shell with reinforcement rings and was described as "70's era" in the auction listing.

Hey,L-d,removeing that chrome wrap is a pain in the a**..I have tryed many way's to do this over the years,and the best way i have found is useing a heat gun and heating the metal up with the drum being hold in a vise and removing about 1" of the wrap at a time...On Slingerland shells wrap in chrome you will not fine a Maple ply on the outer ply--{{ the only time you will fine maple outer ply is when the drum has a maple finish}}-it's going to be mahogany wood.Oh when you remove the chrome you will always remove alittle of the mahogany with it in places around the drum then you have to fill this in with "ROCKHARD" and sand down the drum then put on your Maple laminate on the shell....Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

Glad to see this question here. I have a Chrome-O-Wood bass drum that I was thinking about stripping and rewrapping, but I was on the fence about selling it. I'm off the fence now! :)

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 13 years ago

I think I have some maple veneer that you could wrap a 12" with.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 13 years ago

I just removed a chrome wrap off a 18" floor tom yesterday.

Used a head gun. Started with a putty knife to lift the over lap. Use lot's of head back and forth. Then roll the old wrap into a roll moving very slowley.

Wear leather gloves. Wrap get's very hot.

Actually this is the first one that did'n't even pull up one sliver of the wood.

Lucky me.

Now I got's to get all the glue off.

Joe

“I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”
Posted on 13 years ago

Ok....I managed to get the deed done without using a heat gun or losing any of the top ply of the shell....I guess miracles DO happen! :p What I found underneath was a mahogany outer ply, so I guess I'm heading out to Rockler woodworking later today to see what they have for maple veneers.......anybody have any success with the "pressure sensitive adhesive" veneers?

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here