Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

removing chrome from brass?

i know that in most cases it is opposite, and everybody is trying to nickle or trying to make chrome shine on harware... but i want to know how to remove chrome from brass hoops? is it possible? can it be made in DIY way, or not?

Posted on 12 years ago

If it's just the brass color you want, Drum Factory Direct www.drumfactorydirect.com/ sells brass plated steel hoops. If you want real polished brass hoops...I don't know...I guess a plating shop could strip the chrome.

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 12 years ago

thats the point... i dont want polish brass hoops... so my thoughts are that i would buy chrome plated brass hoops and somehow remove the chrome... but dont know is it possible... sandpaper maybe? or some other diy work...

Posted on 12 years ago

From Matematika

i know that in most cases it is opposite, and everybody is trying to nickle or trying to make chrome shine on harware... but i want to know how to remove chrome from brass hoops? is it possible? can it be made in DIY way, or not?

Easier and cheaper to buy brass hoops with a plain brass finish. You need to send them to a plating shop where they have a series of tanks that will strip off the chrome, then the nickel, then the copper. You'll get bare brass hoops back but it's going to set you back about as much as new hoops will.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

Why would you want to do this?

You say you don't want polished brass but that's what you will end up with once you remove the chrome, the hoops will need to be buffed/polished. Otherwise all the sanding (will take many, many hours) marks or grinding marks will look horrible. Even having the chrome removed professionally the hoops will need to have some sort of polishing done. Having them professional de-chrome will also cost a lot of money, if you can find a shop that will do it right, which would more than likely be a motorcycle shop.

Posted on 12 years ago

You could call/try a sand/bead/soda blasting place maybe? They might be able to help you out.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

From JRichard

Why would you want to do this? You say you don't want polished brass but that's what you will end up with once you remove the chrome, the hoops will need to be buffed/polished. Otherwise all the sanding (will take many, many hours) marks or grinding marks will look horrible. Even having the chrome removed professionally the hoops will need to have some sort of polishing done. Having them professional de-chrome will also cost a lot of money, if you can find a shop that will do it right, which would more than likely be a motorcycle shop.

i would like to make snare that has brass hoops in raw finish as are the lugs...

[IMG]http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee294/hopemetal/ashsnare13003.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 12 years ago

It would be easier to buy new brass hoops, strip off the clear coat with paint remover and let them age. You can even help it along with the aged cymbal treatments that you've seen here.

Posted on 12 years ago

i have found brass hoops but thay are chromed... thats why i asking for help... ok... where can i buy brass hoops in 13" 8 lugs? that are just laquared?

Posted on 12 years ago

I believe that's what these are. I put a set on a Pioneer I refurbished...they look brass plated and clear costed to me. There are other retailers that sell pretty much the same thing.

www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_7_8&products_id=1999

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here