Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Removing caked on stubborn rust from chrome MIJ hoop

So I picked up a '69 MIJ bass drum for a beater set and though the drum itself, wrap and inlay are in pristine condition, the bottoms and insides of the metal hoops are totally caked with thick rust. The drum was sitting in a garage and exposed to the elements I was told.

I attached photos of the hoop and was wondering what I could do to get the hoops to decent again (don't need to be pristine). I tried steel wool of varying coarseness, vinegar, WD-40 soak and though it shined up whatever chrome was decent, I couldn't get the thick rust down.

Was thinking of just spray painting over the problem spots with metallic chrome Krylon. Like I said it doesn't need to be smooth or perfect, just not look totally rotted out on stage. Don't want to remove inlay and put on another hoop - would rather get these hoops from poor to fair.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Posted on 5 years ago

OK, The Chrome will be missing in spots around the rust. The edges of the remaining will be flaky, maybe chip right off because the rust is under it too. So after the rust is gone, the shine will not be the same.

To remove the rust, WD-40 and green pad scrubber. Then wipe off. Take Dawn dish soap out of the bottle and coat it, leave overnight. Wash and dry that off. You will have micro rust stains, you can sand those area's with 800 grit wet dry paper, and when you hit the chrome, it will still scratch that. (if it were mine, I would get a few sheets of 800 grit and do the entire hoop chrome and all so it comes out uniform in sheen) Wax is the last step to control returning.

Another route is to treat it exactly like the bumper on your car with the same products but you will spend more doing that.

Either way the Chrome in those area's is gone, but steel polishes up close to the same shine. But the rust will return if you don't keep up with the liquid car waxing periodically.

Again, if it were mine, I would tape off the inlay with several layers and dry sand the whole thing inside and out with nothing less than 800 grit wet dry paper. Then wax it. You could tape off the good sections and only treat the bad as well.

My 2 cents from doing it a few times.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 5 years ago

If you like the results from the WD-40 and green pad, wax it. If you want detailed, continue detailing.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 5 years ago

Appreciate the help OddBall, thank you

Posted on 5 years ago

I've recently started using one of two products on rust. Quick-Glo is a miracle product that I cannot recommend enough. It's astonishing how well it works.

Alternatively, Evapo-Rust. In your case, I think you can soak towels in evapo-rust and lay them on the spots that need rust removal.

I'd try quick glo first though. It's crazy, might need a few applications of it though.

Posted on 5 years ago

Hey Jay

Fully agree with OB and W123. All great approaches. Looking at the pictures, I have past experience and a feeling as the MIJ hoops will have no shine and be basic metal afterwards. They were not made that well that once you scrape down, remove with solvent, etc the hoops will need to be re-chromed. There are a lot of hoops out there that you can replace them with. Taking the inlay out to save it should be pretty easy with a hair dryer. Good luck

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 5 years ago