Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Removing Adhesives From Cymbal Stands

Does anyone know the best product or process to remove adhesives from cymbal stands? I've got a few pieces with some sort of adhesive on them so thick that it almost seems to be part of the pieces themselves. I'm assuming it's been on there forever. I've tried just about everything I know of, but just can't seem to get it off. I've made extremely slight progress (see pics), but I don't think I've got that many years left to complete the job at this pace (lol)!

Any and all "words of wisdom" would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

Posted on 10 years ago

I would use NeverDull wadding compound or Goo Gone...Either one should take care of it...

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 10 years ago

With some products and issues like this it can be helpful to let the product sit on the adhesive so it can soak in. Then you can work on removing it with some elbow grease. Also, be advised that a cloth with some texture can help. At that point you are basically using the texture to remove the adhesive. Once the cloth becomes saturated and "smooth" you loose that advantage. You can probably be pretty aggressive with products like Goo Gone as I would imagine the chrome underneath will stand up to it. Another suggestion might be to add some heat to soften the adhesive. Just be careful with heat and alcohol based products.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 10 years ago

Lacquer thinner should do it.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 10 years ago

THANKS for all of the suggestions. Now, back to work for me!

Posted on 10 years ago

I would use cigarette lighter fluid, or petrol. Always done the trick for me ..

Posted on 10 years ago

I second lighter fluid. Be careful you don't accidentally remove the original sticker.

Posted on 10 years ago

Hey Gary,

In the past I have been successful using the Dawn+H2O soak. I just fashioned some paper towel (folded up) to cover the sticker, then I tape it over/on the sticker to protect it. Make sure the seal is good.

Of course you may not be soaking at all, in that case, the suggestions already given will probably do it. I wonder what Turtle Wax would do (the green bottle - Chrome Polish and Rust Remover). Considering what it can do to remove rust - perhaps it can remove adhesive too??

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 10 years ago

I too recommended lighter fluid. Works quickly and easily, every time.

Posted on 10 years ago

Last resorts are Acetone that fails Aircraft Paint Stripper (from NAPA). Both nasty stuff but work. Won't hurt the chrome but the sticker will be toast if these get on it.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here