Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Removing Adhesive Residue

Tonight I picked up a '60s Ludwig bass drum that was covered for some bizarre reason with what appears to be some sort of shelving paper. I started removing the shelving paper and discovered a WMP wrap underneath. Although the shelving paper seems fairly easy to remove, some of the adhesive seems to be remaining on the WMP wrap. Just wondering what might be the best product to use to remove this. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. I'm thinking that a combination of soap and water on a microfibre cloth might be a good starting point.

Posted on 10 years ago

maybe use a hair dryer to heat the area some to see if it will soften up the adhesive. once you get the wrap stuff off, i'd try goo gone. I will probably need to sit and soak some though. just an idea.

mike

Posted on 10 years ago

The other day I cleaned up a kick that had gaffer tape running around the shell on the wrap. I started with a soapy sponge and ended up using WD-40 and buffing, which worked well and didn't affect the finish on the wrap. I'd be curious as to what others use, but this worked out well for me.

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 10 years ago

ive also used wd40 with success.

mike

Posted on 10 years ago

Goo Gone works really well. Just keep it from the seam of the wrap, as it will melt the glue and lift the seam.

Posted on 10 years ago

Goo Gone or Goof Off and a lot of elbow grease. :D

I had the same issue with a 5 1/2 x 14 shell and black contact paper. Sit down in front of the TV with a roll of paper towels, bottle of Goof Off and a long movie. Apply some Goof Off to a good sized section of the shell to let it soften up the adhesive and then rub away.

I hope you like the smell of citrus.

-Tim

Posted on 10 years ago

I have tried lighter fluid on adhesive residue with good results.

Posted on 10 years ago

Goo-Gone and -do not use any abrasive cloth-, microfiber or not on wrap. It will dull the finish. Use old fashioned paper towels or sponges. Nothing abrasive!

Nice drum.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 10 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

Goo-Gone and -do not use any abrasive cloth-, microfiber or not on wrap. It will dull the finish. Use old fashioned paper towels or sponges. Nothing abrasive!Nice drum.John

Yep, NOTHING abrasive!!! It's like using steel wool on chrome! Sometimes, mineral oil will soften residue as well. Take your time. These old insruments are worth it.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 10 years ago

I would use mineral spirets.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here