Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Removing Adhesive from Bass Drum Head

I picked up a bass drum recently that apparently had some sort of impact patch on the batter-side head. The patch is gone, but the adhesive remains. I'm looking for suggestions as to the best product or method of removing the adhesive without damaging the head itself. Goo Gone? Goof-Off? Dishwashing Liquid & Warm Water? Graffiti Remover? Something else? Any and all "words of wisdom" would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and your help!

2 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago

I've used Goo Gone for this application. Have to let it sit for a bit and keep working it. Try not to let the stuff that is coming off scratch the head as your scrubbing or wiping it. A little time consuming but worth it.

Posted on 5 years ago

Mineral spirits works great on a smooth DB head. Been there, done that.

1968 Ludwig Super Classic kit Blue Oyster Pearl
22, 13, 16, 14x5
1968 Ludwig Hollywood kit Blue Oyster Pearl
22, 12, 13, 16
A Zildjian cymbals (50's-70's)
Posted on 5 years ago

Fingernail polish remover will get that also.

Steve

Posted on 5 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate the information as well as your time!

Posted on 5 years ago

Nail Polish Remover and a plastic putty knife.

It will go slow and the adhesive residue tends to spread out as you are cleaning it, so try to keep everything in the same proximity. Also, the nail polish remover will remove the printing on the head, and will probably take aim at the large, black outer stripe as well, so use caution.

Posted on 5 years ago

Nail polish remover containers acetone which will have an effect on the smooth Mylar plastic. It will be permanently cloudy once the acetone is applied and wiped off.

Posted on 5 years ago

I second the Goo Gone advice ...and agree to keep working it

it is perfect for tape residue and other similar stickum

on either the drum heads in your case or the drum wraps as well

do not confuse the gentle citrus based Goo Gone with the acetone based Goof Off

The Goof off melted the wrap on a mij snare drum once

personally I use my thumbnail with the area liberally moistened with the GG

once you get a good amount of the stickum starting to clump up, clear it away and re-apply to finish up

Posted on 5 years ago

Thanks for all of the input! The Goo-Gone did the job. Attached are the before and after pics.

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here