Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Removing a dent from a brass dyna shell

Hey guys!

I have a really nice 1968 COB Dyna that has a dent behind the throw (likely from a drop). I assume someone on here has tackled this problem before, as it seems quite common. I would love to figure out how to approach bumping this dent out. Other than the dent the drum is in fantastic shape and all original.

Thanks as always!

-Adam

Posted on 13 years ago

Nevermind! Just found a thread on it!

Thanks anyway!

-Adam

Posted on 13 years ago

2 words.......

rubber hammer

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago

I had great success bumping out a dent in a steel snare drum by using two rubber hammers. Use a heavy hammer as backing on the area your working to repair. You are trying to sandwich the steel between the two hammers. Be sure to put a single layer of duct tape over the heads of both hammers so the pattern of wear doesn't get stamped into the finish. if you use a wood block as backing make sure it's cut to the same contour of the shell. Hope this helps.

Glen

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks for the tips guys! I just ended up taking it into a professional (brass instrument repair shop) and they knocked it out for me in about 10 minutes. Looks good as new. The fact that they did it so fast really makes me want to just learn to do it myself. It cant be that hard right?

-Adam

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here