Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

REMO Vintage Shield Logo Bass Head Smooth White

I recently purchased said head and slapped it on my Slingerland (very thin shelled) 22 natural wood (no wrap) bass. It sounded like garbage. I have a felt strip and tried that. No joy. I have a sweeeeet Ray McKinley internal bass muffler that I installed. No joy. I swapped batters between Evans heads and Remo coated Emp and such. No joy. I played with tight, med, and loose tensioning on both sides. What the heck? This reso head is a piece of junk! Can anyone guide me on getting a pleasing sound out of it? Right now, I've mastered the thin tin and flappy toy sound. Got that one down pat. How 'bout something a bit warmer and woodier...where is that? I can get some nice sounds out of this bass with different combo's of heads. I understand that bit and am fairly adept at it. But this head just ain't doing it. What am I missing here? These things are popular, so it must be me. Enlighten me, please.

Posted on 15 years ago

Have you checked to make sure the hoop is not bent?

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

yup. The only way it sounds even close to 'normal' is if it is HIGHLY dampened. That's not what a vintage drum should be. Dang! Does anyone want this?

Posted on 15 years ago

Maybe you have a defective one? Try swapping it with another from where you purchased it.....btw these single ply heads need to be tuned up tight, Bonham/big band style, warm and woody is generally not what you get out of these.....big and boomy is more what they offer....50's/early 60's sound.....think Roy Haynes.....

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here