Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Red Oyster Pearl Presidents

OK, picked these up on Friday and I'm going to try to get a verdict. I think they are reasonably complete and will eventually be nice, but it's going to take some work. First, the kick drum. I was shocked at how it really booms just playing it with my hand on the crappy old Pinstripe. These fiberglass drums are going to sound funky and loud for their size. I was pleasantly surprised that the discoloration in the wrap was only from years of grime and dust. I just quickly 409ed an area near the tom mount and the color is nice and bright underneath. Tho photo really doesn't do it justice. This is a really cool finish with some different pinks among the reds. The hoops have no issues. The tom rash is severe, but it's also very focused. I am strongly considering fashioning a patch from material under the tom mount. I've wanted to try a patch project and this drum might pose good opportunity. There is some slight bubbling of the wrap in front of the front-side lugs; I think I can fix it. Look inside the drum, good condition but someone attached coat hanger wire to the lug screws!?!? What on earth could that have been for? :confused:

Missing: cymbal arm and both spurs

3 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

Floor tom. Wrap is nice, save for the splitting you see in the photo. However, it's all there with no pieces or chunks missing. I think this is an easy fix.

Missing: 2 of the legs and the muffler

2 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

Rack tom and snare. Rack tom is in great condition, not missing anything. Muffler is there. As for the snare, wrap is perfect. Someone fashioned an ingenious invention for a snare throw arm: Phillips-head screw.

Missing: Snare muffler and throw arm

3 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

So all in all, I think I have an interesting project here. The two missing mufflers aren't absolute necessities for me. From the information on this forum it looks like I might also have a tough time obtaining the cymbal arm? I think the floor tom legs are easy to find. Will have to find some spurs. The heads will definitely be an expense, but I've got a bunch of NOS heads floating around here. I would love to find a repro logo for the reso head. Gonna have to gather a dozen or so tension rods. But the hardware on this kit is really good with minimal pitting or rust. I think it's a cool project, since I have only collected Ludwigs until now. And.. don't it look kinda cute next to American Cousin Big Blue Oyster?

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

Sweet!

As for some of the issues, I would like to make a few educated suggestions about them. First, the wrap issue at the lugs, leave it alone. The wrap is already stretched and there is no good way to fix that. For the cracks in the floor tom, carefully glue it back in place, stretching it tight as possible and use a ratchet strap to hold it in place. For this shell, I would use a very small amount of 5 minute epoxy spread thinly under the repair and then a piece of plastic wrap over top so the strap does not adhere. I may have an arm for the throw off. Let me look around a bit. Also, Mikey may have the proper cymbal arm, ask him.

Now, for the logo. Contact Osakabop, I believe he has it already built up in a PDF that can be sent off to have it cut, or you also go to Officemax and they have sheet vinyl that you can stencil over to get a good one you can do at home. Many car dealerships have their own detail depts. In those departments they have the ability to install window tint. They have a large plotter that cuts each window from a program and it is possible they could cut it for you if the GM is not a complete jerk. Just ask around, some of the salesmen will know who does the window tint, or you could just go to the phone book and find a window tint place yourself, like Alta Mere. It can be done from limo black and should look really nice.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

From jonnistix

Sweet!As for some of the issues, I would like to make a few educated suggestions about them. First, the wrap issue at the lugs, leave it alone. The wrap is already stretched and there is no good way to fix that. For the cracks in the floor tom, carefully glue it back in place, stretching it tight as possible and use a ratchet strap to hold it in place. For this shell, I would use a very small amount of 5 minute epoxy spread thinly under the repair and then a piece of plastic wrap over top so the strap does not adhere. I may have an arm for the throw off. Let me look around a bit. Also, Mikey may have the proper cymbal arm, ask him. Now, for the logo. Contact Osakabop, I believe he has it already built up in a PDF that can be sent off to have it cut, or you also go to Officemax and they have sheet vinyl that you can stencil over to get a good one you can do at home. Many car dealerships have their own detail depts. In those departments they have the ability to install window tint. They have a large plotter that cuts each window from a program and it is possible they could cut it for you if the GM is not a complete jerk. Just ask around, some of the salesmen will know who does the window tint, or you could just go to the phone book and find a window tint place yourself, like Alta Mere. It can be done from limo black and should look really nice.

As Jonnistix stated leave the wrap alona around the lugs if you try to fit it it will not work...Yes J/S is right i have the L-arm that you need i even have the right floor tom leg mounts that are missing,the ones on the tom now are Slingerland not Pearl...Best to email me or try a P/M but my box gets fills up all the time...Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

Congrats Pjn1375!Cool1

Wonderful score!!! You'll em I am sure. If you can't find an original L-arm for the cymbal mount then I suggest getting the new TAMA clamp style cowbell bass drum mount - comes with a nice new L-arm. Then plug that into the President cymbal mount and on top of that slap a new Tama boom extender- this set up is actually more adjustable than using the original- like this one here:

[IMG]http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn87/Osakabop/P1010001-4.jpg[/IMG]

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 13 years ago

Hey thanks everyone for the amazing info and tips! I'll be hitting you guys up for more advice and/or asking if you have parts as I get going on it. I think I have some MIJ floor tom mounts somewhere. I'll take a pic to see if they are the right ones. This one might take a few months to get whipped into shape, as I am finishing a couple Ludwig projects as well as a new baby in the house. I won't push it on him, but I secretly hope my son will be interested in vintage drums-- cuz they are really starting to pile up around here!

Thanks again!Bowing

Posted on 13 years ago

From OsakaBop

Congrats Pjn1375!Cool1Wonderful score!!! You'll em I am sure. If you can't find an original L-arm for the cymbal mount then I suggest getting the new TAMA clamp style cowbell bass drum mount - comes with a nice new L-arm. Then plug that into the President cymbal mount and on top of that slap a new Tama boom extender- this set up is actually more adjustable than using the original- like this one here:[IMG]http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn87/Osakabop/P1010001-4.jpg[/IMG]

1st: Is that the original wrap? and

2nd: Is that a tom-to-snare conversion?

Cool beans, OB!

Posted on 13 years ago

Hey there, yes that is the original wrap- polished up nice didn`t it? That snare is a great sounding TAMA maple 8x14. Since that photo I got the matching snare to this kit- so it`s complete.Excited

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here