Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Red face Need help/advice restoring my 70s Supra

HI GUYS! i recently purchased a 70s lm402. it's not in great condition but i have hope that i can still restore it and make it sing, baby.

here are the issues: (advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated! )

A. the past owner wrapped the shell in a fugly vinyl wrap with very strong adhesive double-sided tape. i managed to remove the components of the drums and strip off the wrap but now it's A GLUE/ADHESIVE GUNK MESS and it's very difficult and tedious to remove. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO REMOVE THAT CRAZY GUNK? would paint thinner do the job? i want to bring back the luster of the chrome

B. the bottom bearing edge is not completely smooth. it has a few dings from the chrome peeling off. how can i smooth-en it out again?

C. i noticed that the past owner sprayed silver paint over some portions inside the shell (those portions were a little rough. oxidation i guess?). would it be safe to clean it/polish it out with paint thinner?

D. im torn 50/50 with re-chroming or stripping the the shell of its chrome (if that's possible) just to get some consistency and to smoothen out the bottom bearing edge

to those who read this and to those who reply and help out, advanced thank you and have a great day!

Posted on 12 years ago

Welcome to the forums!

You can try Goo-Gone spray to remove the adhesive.

Very light sanding with fine emory cloth for the edges, although not necessary. If it's only flaking chrome, it shouldn't affect tuning.

Don't bother with the inside of the shell other than a good cleaning. If it's 'rough' as you say, then a good rubbing with 00-00 steel wool should restore the inside of the shell.

If you're going to strip the chrome... do not re-chrome the drum. Just have them polish the aluminum to a high gloss. It'll look every bit as good as any chromed drum only yours will never pit!

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

thanks for the advice Guitar Dude Man !!

i just hope the flaking doesnt tear the reso head..they're really small but some of them are quite sharp around the edges of the flaking..hmm

Posted on 12 years ago

> but some of them are quite sharp around the edges of the flaking..hmm

Soften just the edges of the nicks with emory cloth... or, if you simply coat/paste-wax the edges you won't have to worry about a thing.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here