Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

recutting modern bearing edges

I have an 80's ludwig kit- 24,18,13, 6-ply that I bought for pretty cheap, but the bearing edges have some issues.. the 2 toms were used for a long time as concert toms so the resonant side bearing edges have nicks and gouges from being placed down on them, etc.. i dont really have any issues tuning the 13 and bass drum, but the 18 is a little frustrating to tune. My question is this: i much prefer the sound of modern bearing edges and if I were to get them recut to a modern angle, would that be total sacrilege? I dont really want to just "buy a new modern kit" which is likely what some would tell me to do, and i really like my kit(its kinda frankensteined out and beat up anyway). What do you guys think??

btw, i was curious.. when i put heads on, they are very tight, not too tight to get on, but they fit very snugly and sometimes im worried that part of the head is not making good contact with the shell. the drums seem in round, did ludwig make them slightly oversized in that era? is there a possibility of wood expansion? thanks for any help.

Posted on 13 years ago

Ummm...........an 80's Ludwig kit IS a modern kit, so therefore, they already have "modern" bearing edges......so, to answer the question...no harm, no foul to recut them with the modern edges they already have.

Posted on 13 years ago

well, they are very rounded.. by "modern" i meant something like a double 45 degree angle, as opposed to the "vintage style" rounded edge which they seem to have right now.

Posted on 13 years ago

They shouldn't have a rounded over edge at all. They should have a single 45 degree edge with an ever so slight rounded edge that is done by hand at the factory. If its a very rounded edge, then they have already been messed with so feel free to cut whatever edges you want in them.

Posted on 13 years ago

You might try an oversized head like an Aquarian American Vintage. They're built large to accommodate larger 1950s shells. (Be sure it's an American Vintage. The Aquarian Modern Vintage heads are the same material but are not oversized.)

I hear that Ludwig heads are also a bit more generously sized, so you may have good luck with Ludwig heads. They also come in a wider variety of styles, and if you're looking for a more modern sound, you'll do better with (say) a clear Ludwig Heavy Weathermaster than with the Aquarians. As a bonus, Ludwig heads are just about the least expensive pro-quality heads on the market.

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks for the help guys!

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here