Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Recut Bearing Edges on Valuable Vintage drums?

I have been advised to have the bearing edges recut to original profile on my black oyster pearl 64 downbeat, my 57 black oyster pearl kit and also my Gretsch roundbadge 20,12,16 in common ol silver sparkle. Im Worried this will effect the value of the drums but will clearly improve the sound. I’m thinking of doing so on the Gretsch which has the worst edges but not the other rarer kits. Advice appreciated.

Posted on 5 years ago

A laymans view, do you want to do this to improve your enjoyment of the sound currently produced, in other words do you play the drums for your own enjoyment or, are the drums an investment and you can live with the sound currently made by them ?

If you re-cut the edges could this potentially de-value the drums in investment terms ? I don't know enough about this subject to be able to say, but if so why not leave that decision to the potential next owner ?

Perhaps consider this, something is only ever original once, if you recut the edges any remaining originality will be gone forever.

I hope the above (which upon re-reading appears to ramble somewhat!) makes sense ?

Good luck with your decision ! Remember that the one you are proposing is irreversible.

Posted on 5 years ago

Just how bad are they and who is doing the advice?

Yes. In all probability it will devalue the drums...especially when consideration is given to who is doing it. It may increase the value of the drums to you. So if you are going to have it done, choose a craftsman whose name will instantaneously demand the highest respect.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 5 years ago

I have had great success with sanding sponge and butchers wax for finish

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 5 years ago

Well I love the way you do this yourself. With great skill I imagine.

Posted on 5 years ago

I purchased a Ludwig Classic Maple Downbeat kit in 2012. Every drum had bad edges! Rather than send the drums back to Ludwig, not knowing how they will fix the issue, I chose to entrust all the edges to my friend Chris Heuer, owner of Heuer's Drum Lab in Burbank, CA. The edges were not re-cut, but rather re-formed and contoured by skilled sanding. When done, the edges were better than what the factory could achieve!

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago

Actually if u get that rotten stone it mite be pumice sander that they sell on tv it conforms to the radius and takes out the imperfections enough to coat with wax or oil even lite coat lacquer

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 5 years ago

Yes, to any collector it devalues due to altering the originality. Ludwig and others often had some rough edges, seen it. 50+ years later they get worse.

There are exceptions as many vintage era bass drums had the front heads removed and were badly Road worn. To recut a damaged edge(s) from such damage is required as the drum won’t produce a tone acceptable to the ear.

I have rehabbed kits, most recently a ‘64 Jazzette! It had been painted black, inside and out and several edges were shot. Although the shells were intact the kit required a full resto. I sent the shells to Precision for recutting and rewrapping in Vintage Oyster Black. They came back beautiful and while needing a few parts and cleaning came out looking and sounding unimaginably amazing! I feel had this arduous process not been done, the drums were all but worthless.

So, there are exceptions. Will this kit ever be a super collectible kit? No, but they have a better chance of making it another 55 years!

Here is a before and after. About 45 hours not counting Precision’s time.

Drum Kits
1965 Ludwig Clubdate Oyster Blue
1966 Ludwig Clubdate Oyster Black
1969 Ludwig BB Blue Oyster Keystone Clubdate
1971 Ludwig BB Black Oyster
Early 60's Camco Oaklawns Champagne Sparkle
Posted on 5 years ago

If the edges were either bad from the factory (not a rare thing) or damaged from abuse like using the drums without their resonant heads, then it makes little sense to preserve that condition whether the drums are vintage or not. However, as Ploughman and others have noted, who are you going to get to do the work. On recommendation of idrum4fun, I sent a set to Heuer a number of years ago. A beautiful set of Rogers drums that had very poor factory edges. They came back like Dynasonic edges. Awesome work. The kit still sold for $2k, so it was not a mistake in my view.

Posted on 5 years ago

Yes, it will devalue the drums no matter how masterfully they are re-shaped. Most of my Ludwigs have bad edges....most. But that's true of Gretsch and Slingerland, too. Rogers...not so much! :).

It really depends on the overall value of the configuration, too. Super Classic configurations are SO ubiquitous, it really wouldn't matter that much unless it was a rare finish. But a Jazzette?.....I wouldn't alter it at all!

Opinions will vary!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here