Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Recreating Yellowed Logos

Does anyone have experience aging kick drum decals?

I want to use new heads on my Ludwigs, but as the wrap/badges/patina is all original, I don't want a fresh, modern, die cut logo on the head.

Have been watching ebay for a few months and haven't seen any NOS yellowed decals. I see complete heads from time to time, but again... new heads for me.

Something like this, from the B/O era:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/JGGq6pO.png[/IMG]

Posted on 9 years ago

I should add that I have an NOS 90's decal for testing purposes, and I'll post results here if there is any interest. It's the larger sized logo, and I'll be using the smaller 70's version for my kit.

I'll likely cut it up into a few sections and have a go with some different methods. Any ideas?

UV lamp?

Amber translucent model paint?

Coat of shellac?

Posted on 9 years ago

I wouldn't cut up a NOS logo. Go to the local hobby store and get some decal stock or clear sticker stock to test with. I'd try the amber translucent paint and shellac. The model paint you can mix your own shades till you get one your happy with. If your handy with graphics you can simulate the yellow with a shade blend possibly. And print one like that. Cool project and please follow up with your test results good and bad.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 9 years ago

I used tea [orange pekoe] to age a BD reso head. Worked quite well. I guess it would activate the adhesive on the logo, so be ready to apply...?

Mitch

Posted on 9 years ago

I didn't think of that... I've used diluted coffee to age paper at work.

Did you use heat? How long for the soak?

Posted on 9 years ago

From FFR428

I wouldn't cut up a NOS logo.

NOS from this era:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/YAZbtkVl.jpg[/IMG]

I think you're right though- it'd be short sighted to think nobody will EVER want it.

Thanks for the suggestions... I have some trans amber model paint, I might start there. Something about using photoshop puts it in the realm of laminate flooring. It would be easy for me to do, and likely look great, but it would bug me. Same mental condition that has me aging a decal in the first place :D

Posted on 9 years ago

From Turner

I didn't think of that... I've used diluted coffee to age paper at work.Did you use heat? How long for the soak?

I just poured the tea onto the head, swirled it around for full coverage, and let dry. It was actually a little too even, wanted a more "stainy" look. IOW I'm the same kind of weirdo as you are...:)

Mitch

Posted on 9 years ago

The results are a bit exaggerated... but the clear winner to me is the far right panel. That was a watered down translucent hobby paint, brushed on and then wiped off when tacky. I'll water the final product down even more to make it more subtle.

The missing middle section was my trial with heat. The modern decal paper curled up and died, and permanently bonded the backing paper to the decal.

I tried soaking in coffee as well, but this type of decal paper doesn't absorb. Came out clear after a couple days in the solution.

I tried painting both sides of the decal separately, soaking in the paint solution... the best was to simply apply the decal, brush on top of it and wipe away the excess. Can't tell there is a finish on the outside.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/XPykJmpl.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/PztECKCl.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 9 years ago

Looks like you have it sorted. I was going to suggest just having the logos printed. You would print the yellowed area as well. Easy enough but your plan seems to be working.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 9 years ago

Yep, printing the decal with some sort of translucent photoshop texture and trans ink would be a good way to mass produce them for sale. In my case its easier to do the translucent texturing by hand since I only need one.

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here