Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Recording Vintage Drums

Hi All,

My band will be going into the studio to cut some demo tracks on April 21. I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to get a "vintage sound" in a modern studio where everything is recorded digitally.

? What we're recording: Early 1950's rock n roll and rhythm and blues

? What I'm playing: 1962 Ludwig Super Classic Kit / Early 60's Zildjians

The sound we're after is that famous Bill Haley sound recorded for Decca in the early 50's. They recorded in a big NYC ballroom (Pythian Temple) that was converted into a studio to get a big boomy sound. Every rimshot sounds like thunder, with minimal focus on cymbals, etc. (Check out the original Rock Around the Clock for an example)

We're supposed to all be in the same room, so no isolation booth for me. And I suspect we'll forgo putting a mic on EVERY drum, since that wouldn't be very 50s -- so I'm suspecting 3 mics total?

Anyway, our producer's supposed to be great and will most likely know his stuff, but I'm just curious if there's anything I can do from a drummer's perspective to help capture this sound. Thanks, all!

Posted on 17 years ago

Without getting into microphone choice, I'd say one on the bass drum (no hole in the front head and only felt dampers if you really want to go the whole hog) backed well off the head plus two overheads ideally about a foot above each of your ears. At a pinch one in the snare/hi-hat area but that was rarely par for the course way back then - but a largish ambient room would be nice.

For a young engineer you pretty much need to tell them you want the ambient miking only (with the exception of the bass drum) and not the close miking. They'll probably look at you like you're insane so spell it out or them.

Upside of no close miking is it also negates a multitiude of rattle and tuning sins (no excuse of course - make sure everything as it should be).

I'm sure someone who's really an expert can tell you the ideal mikes as well.

Cheers,

David

Posted on 17 years ago

The biggest part of any good drum sound is the overheads; but for what you want to achieve you actually need room mics. They should be some distance away from the kit. Then I like to delay these tracks - something you can't really do with analog gear, so at least that's one thing you can take advantage of with digital methods.

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks guys! This advice is great, and much appreciated :)

Posted on 17 years ago

Play a lot of snare drum. As I'm sure you've already done, listen to a lot of Bill Haley. I think you'll hear a lot of snare, kick, hi hat and ride. Depending on the vibe, you may not need to set up the toms at all. I agree with everything everyone said. No close miking. Hopefully the room gives you a good ambience.

Enjoy.

G

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 17 years ago

I'd use single ply heads and tight tunings.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here