Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Rechroming Gretsch Micro-Sensitive Strainer

Has anyone out there had any success having a Gretsch Micro-Sensitive snare drum strainer (or any other die cast zinc drum parts) rechromed? If so, any plating shops you would recommend? Just curious. Thanks so much!

3 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

Actually, I just found a plating shop in Florida that specializes in pot metal restoration that's willing to do the job for me. I'll post the after pictures when I get the strainer back in a couple of weeks. :)

Posted on 13 years ago

I have always been curious about what people would charge for this type of thing. Please if you don't mind give us some idea as far as cost.

Posted on 13 years ago

You may want to contact JP2 Creations. I know he does restorations on MSS's, but not sure about re-plating. Please post once you find out. Maybe we can get a two for one special...mine is pitted three times as much as yours!

Greg

1953 Gretsch 22/13/16/6X14 "Name Band"
2001 Gretsch 22/10/12/14 "Catalina Elite"
2011 Gretsch 18/12/14 "Catalina Club Jazz"
Posted on 13 years ago

Actually, Jim Petty at JP2 Creations was the first person I contacted when I decided to get the strainer re-chromed. Jim referred me to Anderson Silver Plating in Elkhart, Indiana (Anderson's is one of the best in the business and specializes in work on musical instruments). When I emailed Anderson Silver Plating, however, they wrote back:

"Sorry, we can't help with this project. What you most likely have is some sort of zinc. We have tried doing both drum and guitar parts in the past with very little success. So we are going to pass on having you send it all the way here just for us to discover we can't help. Have a great day!"

So, hopefully, Steve at Quality Pot Metal Works in Florida can help me out. I'll keep you guys posted.

Posted on 13 years ago

you are going to spend a fortune with shipping back and forth and all.

Why not leave it "as is"? Gretsch wasn't known for their plating anyway.....

LOTS of rims you see have pitting on them.

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here