Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Recco Snare Drum Restoration

I'm beginning the restoration of my recently acquired Recco snare drum, which is shown in the "Vintage Non-USA drums" section.

The drum has been completely disassembled and I started with the strainer. It's become apparent to me that this unusual strainer is a copy of the Rogers Swivomatic "Perma-Tension" strainer, aka "clockface" strainer.

All the parts only needed to be thoroughly cleaned and lube. What a cool strainer!

I'll be posting more pictures as the restoration continues!

-Mark

5 attachments
97.6 kB
100.2 kB
105.6 kB
108.8 kB
106.9 kB
Posted on 8 years ago

Sounds good, keep the pics coming

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 8 years ago

Yes please, more pics. I've never seen a strainer quite like that, pretty cool!

Posted on 8 years ago

The restoration continues!

Here's some pictures of the lugs, butt, muffler and vent grommet.

Those lugs (cleaned 3 so far) look like small Beavertails merged into each other. The butt also resembles a Rogers.

Need I say more about the tone control/muffler?!!

Pictures of the grommet are before/after cleaning. Was able to do a good job of removing rust without harming the badge. As to the back of the grommet, when was the last time you saw a 60's MIJ grommet with a backing washer? In my experience, never! Cool!

-Mark

Posted on 8 years ago

Nice work! How did you clean the grommet without removing it from the badge?

Posted on 8 years ago

From R.Adam McHugh

Nice work! How did you clean the grommet without removing it from the badge?

It was easier than I thought! Just used a very small pad of 0000 steel wool and was careful to only buff the grommet itself. It came out really nice!

-Mark

Posted on 8 years ago

All cleaning, polishing, sanding, rust removal, etc, the drum is finally complete! Here are pictures of the shell and hoops. The picture of the shell was before the wrap was cleaned. The interior was lightly sanded to remove loose pieces of the inner ply, common from the drilling process. The bearing edges were also smoothed to remove any rough spots.

As to the hoops, they have really nice chrome plating and are certainly "tall" hoops! The provided picture shows the Recco hoop on the right, comparing it to a Pearl SuperHoop on the left. The Recco hoop is 1-3/8" tall, a full 1/8" taller than Rogers Tall Boy hoops!

-Mark

2 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

My Recco snare drum is complete! The pictures were taken this morning, under cloudy conditions, so the glass glitter doesn't reflect any sunlight. The last picture shows the true shade of blue of this wrap. Very nice!

It is still my opinion that this drum was meant as a copy of a Rogers snare drum; tall hoops, die-cast butt and "clockface-style" throw-off, Rogers-style muffler. The lugs resemble "mini" Beavertails end-to-end.

My Recco snare drum will look great in my drum room!

-Mark

5 attachments
75.1 kB
75.6 kB
78.3 kB
73.6 kB
116.4 kB
Posted on 8 years ago

From idrum4fun

My Recco snare drum is complete! The pictures were taken this morning, under cloudy conditions, so the glass glitter doesn't reflect any sunlight. The last picture shows the true shade of blue of this wrap. Very nice!It is still my opinion that this drum was meant as a copy of a Rogers snare drum; tall hoops, die-cast butt and "clockface-style" throw-off, Rogers-style muffler. The lugs resemble "mini" Beavertails end-to-end. My Recco snare drum will look great in my drum room!-Mark

That's beautiful, great job! I notice you've got string on the strainer end and filament tape on the butt end, assuming that is filament tape, going by what we were talking about on the Non-USA page...

Now the $64 question: how does it sound now?? If it sounds anywhere near as good as it looks then it should be brilliant! Well done!

Cool1

Posted on 8 years ago

From R.Adam McHugh

That's beautiful, great job! I notice you've got string on the strainer end and filament tape on the butt end, assuming that is filament tape, going by what we were talking about on the Non-USA page...Now the $64 question: how does it sound now?? If it sounds anywhere near as good as it looks then it should be brilliant! Well done!Cool1

Yes, filament tape on the butt side. However, I will be changing over to the same type string you see on the strainer side. It's Ludwig string and the perfect strength and diameter!

So, how does it sound? Well...let's just say the drum looks better than it sounds! LoLoLoLo

I've had dozens of MIJ snare drums. Some sound pretty good, while others never do, regardless of head selection, tuning, etc. Installed a new set of Aquarian heads on the Recco...Classic Coated on top and Classic Clear on the bottom. I have the feeling that it's the snare wires causing the problem. They're original and have some strands that don't lay flat. Still, I was never worried about sound, since the drum is for display only. I'm really happy with this drum!

-Mark

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here