Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Recco Snare Drum Acquisition!

This "Recco" snare drum just arrived! I wanted to take pictures before a complete cleaning and detailing was performed. I love 60's and early 70's MIJ snare drums! There are so many cool colors and features! This one caught my eye on eBay. I watched it for quite some time before buying it. Glad I did! Very unique lugs, held on by only one screw each. The strainer and butt are both die-cast. Hoops are more of a Rogers-style "tall boy" variety. Even the tone control is based on a Rogers! My 1969 Pearl kit used this same muffler, so, for now, I'm thinking this Recco drum was built by Pearl. Can anyone offer any more information on this great looking snare drum!

Oh yeah, it's all original!

-Mark

5 attachments
84.7 kB
84.3 kB
89.2 kB
72.4 kB
Posted on 8 years ago

Saw one of these online once, saved a couple pics because it was so cool! I have no idea who made it, but I would say either Pearl or Hoshino. I wonder how rare it is, as it sure looks like a goody too!

-John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 8 years ago

Was it just the MIJs that used the nylon/plastic strips to hold the snare wires to the strainer and butt? I've only ever seen string on the heavyweights, ie: Ludwig, Gretsch etc.

Posted on 8 years ago

Having said that, I've just noticed the string on your Recco!

Either way, does it make a difference, string or plastic?

Posted on 8 years ago

Hi John!

Thanks for posting those pictures! Definitely the same drum, but with a different wrap. The badge could have been anything!

Just began to disassemble my drum. The strainer is something else! The mechanism is based on the Rogers Swivo strainer, with a roller wheel that tracks inside of a channel. The channel even has the same type cutout used by Rogers to lock the strainer in the "on" position. The two die-cast halves are held together with fairly fancy brass screws. I'll get pictures tomorrow and post them.

Also, all the interior mounting hardware has no rust!

-Mark

Posted on 8 years ago

From R.Adam McHugh

Having said that, I've just noticed the string on your Recco! Either way, does it make a difference, string or plastic?

Hi!

This is definitely the original string and is fairly stiff. Kind of reminds me of the blue string provide with many Puresound wires. Never really cared for that stiff string, either! The same holds true for the Recco string. Will really need better string, such as that used by Ludwig.

-Mark

Posted on 8 years ago

I used a Maxwin snare when I was a nipper (my folks got me a cheap set when I was about 10) and it had plastic strips. In later years (I was about 18) I found an old Premier HiFi in a second-hand furniture shop going for twenty bucks (AUD) which was in a pretty poor state. I cleaned it up (my first foray into resto) put new heads and snares on, and because my knowledge of drums at the time was not exactly brilliant (read: sh!thouse!), I used the plastic strips from the Maxwin, thinking that was the thing to do. No idea if it was good or bad or if there was a difference at all, not having anything to compare it with. Anyway, the Premier sounded mighty against the Maxwin, and I used it right through my twenties and thirties, with the plastic strips. It wasn't until I actually started getting into the vintage thing and better quality drums that I noticed the string. Still not sure if it makes a difference sound-wise, but I will say for overall "looks", give me string! ;)

Posted on 8 years ago

Sorry, went a bit off topic there... But I love your Recco. How's it sound? Also sorry to say I have no info to offer you about these drums. :(

Posted on 8 years ago

From R.Adam McHugh

Sorry, went a bit off topic there... But I love your Recco. How's it sound? Also sorry to say I have no info to offer you about these drums. :(

R.Adam!

No problem about going "off topic"! You had a very interesting read. About those plastic strips, I find they don't let the snare wires seat into the head very well. I've found some strips that are less thick and they work reasonably well, but still not perfect. What I've found that works great is 3M brand Filament Tape. This is basically the type of strips used by Slingerland and Tama. Very strong and easily conforms to the bearing edge, allowing the snare wires to seat properly. I cut the tape to the length needed, fold it over to make a double layer and then trim to the width I need.

As to how the Recco sounds? Not good out of the box! Old heads and the strainer was not working properly. The strainer has already been disassembled and there are no broken or worn parts! It really looks like an MIJ version of Rogers Clock-face strainer...and very well done, too! I'll be posting pictures of the strainer in the Restoration section!

-Mark

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks for your kind words! Filament tape, eh? That's very interesting, I'll check that out, I reckon. I have a couple of snares that are way overdue for an overhaul - filthy and missing parts, namely strainers and snares (strangely, both are Premier, would you believe??), so I will have to investigate the world of 3M, methinks... But right now I'll just be popping over to the restoration section. I am curious to see your pics! Love that blue sparkle!

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here