Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

really REALLY stuck Speed King roll spring

I have this SK that was said to have been "sitting" for 25 years. Okay. Plausible. I've been trying to get the rocker disassembled, and the roll springs have been a ***** to get out. I FINALLY got one, but cannot get the other more than .25 inch out. Bent one punch already. I mean, I spray it with PB Blaster oil, let it soak, then hammered on it (and occasionally my thumb). A lot.

A mechanic friend of mine who, when confronted with a frozen caliper or something, would soak it in brake fluid for a day or so. He said it is the thinnest lubricant, so...soak and pray!

Any ideas? The rocker is pretty stout metal, so I don't know about any heat/cold ideas. That sum***** is STUCK!!

Posted on 12 years ago

Boil it in a big pot of vinegar

Kevin
Posted on 12 years ago

I saw another post on a SK thread that talked about cleaning the springs in boiling vinegar. He said it work great, but the fumes were terrible.

I MAY not be able to have this experiment in the kitchen.... not because my wife would hate it, but because I would.

Other than heat... what's the benefit of the vinegar? It isn't stuck because of clogging dirt or grease...it's plain old friction.

....isn't it?

Thanks for the tip!

Posted on 12 years ago

Vinegar takes rust off like nothing else, works wonders on chrome metal parts.

1965 Ludwig Super Classic WMP (22-13-16)
1965 Club Date/Downbeat Combo Blue Sparkle
Cleveland Rogers COB Powertone snare
1965 Ludwig Supra Snare
Posted on 12 years ago

If you don't want to do the boiling thingy. Get some auto parts washer fluid and submerge the whole goal post unit in for a few days. Let is soak.

Joe

“I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”
Posted on 12 years ago

If you have a gas grill outside you can always boil it in the pot out there. Maybe soaking in some paint thinner or acetone will help break down the old grease. Bet it's solid chunks and holding it in there maybe?

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

Lacquer thinner will do it but be warned the fumes are pretty strong and in will take the finish off as well.

Posted on 12 years ago

Well, my first idea of soaking in brake fluid overnight didn't help. I even got out the BFH. It was weird, because it seemed I could twist it (it's about half way out). What the heck can be holding that thing in there??

I think all the ideas so far are sure worth a try... but I don't know if rust is the problem, but I don't know what is. I'm stumped.

I don't want to try lacquer thinner if it's going to screw up the throne. What I understand about the vinegar thing (after about 10 minutes of research) is that it's great for rust....

I really don't get it....what is holding that thing? Should I try to cut off the end that;s sticking out (easier said than done) and hammer the other way.

Now, of course, it's personal!

Posted on 12 years ago

Okay. Just stuck the rocker with the stuck roll pin in vinegar on the stove to boil for a while.

Why not?

I'm guessing that trying to drill it out is a very bad idea....right? Since it's a hollow center and all.

Jeez, I don't know!!

Hmmmm

Posted on 12 years ago

try pushing it out the other way.

I know some automotive roll pins will only go out/in from one side.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here