Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Re-wrapping Ludwig drums

I have always been hesitant to re-wrap my Ludwig drums. The reason is that because of the way the shells were made, part of the wrap is goes into the shell join.

Here is my question.

When you forum friends have re-wrapped Ludwigs how do you deal with this area, and when done, how do the drums look at that join point?

Thanks

Norm

Posted on 12 years ago

First of all, IMO, I wouldn't re-wrap them unless the wrap has serious issues.

That said, sometimes a re-wrap is necessary. So, here's my experience with 60s Ludwig 3-ply:

As you said, "part of the wrap is goes into the shell joint" which was just the process they used, at least up until they started using the granitone interior in the 70s. They may have made the switch sometime during the clear maple interior days, but the painted white interiors all have the wrap into the joint (at least all of what I've seen). This IS a pain in the rear!

I've used a utility knife and carefully cut through the wrap right at the seam so the old wrap (that's in the joint) no longer shows. Then carefully remove the old wrap, usually with heat (BUT -- don't let it get too hot, as it can easily catch on fire!!).

Now, the sad part: It really don't matter whether you use the tape or glue method, you're going to have somewhat of a "flat-spot" at that seam. Now, it's not uncommon for Ludwigs of this era to already have a bit of a flat-spot at the seam anyway, but when rewrapping it does seem to be a little more pronounced. That's just the nature of the beast, I guess.

Good luck...

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

I wonder if anyone has tried to fill that area to "round" it off, or if that's possible?

Posted on 12 years ago

:) I am by no means an expert on wrapping drums, I have restored a few Ludwigs and have had to replace wrap on some. Now, having said that, filling in the flat spot, you may open a can of worms on that deal. You may wait on some experence on restoring before trying that. Also, that little flat spot, I feel adds character to the drums. When these guys were putting these drums together, it was done with pride and integrety. I'm sure they never thought of the wrap ever being taken off some forty years later. So, anyone who knows anything about these Ludwig gems will know what's going on. If they don't and make some comment, tell them the story of how the drums were made, it's interesting stuff to allot of people. Take your time and have fun. The reward is much greater than the fight. Take care and do good...Joe

Posted on 12 years ago

I have 2 comments on rewrapping Ludwigs. The first kit I ever rewrapped was a Ludwig that I did for myself. The removal of their wrap is unbelievably

painful. I am right now trying to remove some wrap and reuse it. Not having too much success and it's almost impossible to remove the wrap without that outer ply refusing to let go. I have encountered a few early 60's drums that came right off, but VERY few.

The second is that "flat spot" most prominent on the 14x14 floor toms. How did Ludwig get away with that? I realize the rerings made the shell round at the ends but damn, I've seen some really flat "flat spots". I would not worry at all about the rewrap at the old seam. It's a rewrap and won't ever replicate the original but if all else is done well, the issue at hand is very minimal.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here