Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Re-wrapping: Bumwrapdrums? (and badge and grommet question)

Hi there - I am considering wrapping an old set that I have consisting of late 60's Yamaha y badge D-series rack and floor toms and an an old Pearl kick drum. I have done some googling and it appears as if Bumdrumwraps provide a decent product at a decent price and it seems easy enough to DIY. I am not a handy guy so for me ease of doing is the only option. My question is whether anyone has any experience with these guys and/or have any other proposals as to where to buy from - bearing in mind that I am from South Africa so I will have to ship "blindly" so to speak.

The rack tom has had its black vinyl removed (see pics) but the floor tom still has it on - I'm thinking of removing the black vinyl wrap on the floor tom before re-wrapping although, on their website, these guys do say that wrapping over existing finishes is possible - what would you recommend?

BTW: apologies for digressing: despite the look of these drums, they sound absolutely phenomenal - my understanding is that those are all birch sells - and I know I may be burnt at the stake for this but, if you put a gun against my head told me that I had to choose the better sounding (according to my ears of course) 13" and 16" between my 1971 Ludwig 3 ply m/p/m (clear inner) and these birch Yamaha's (all fitted with Coated Remo Ambassadors) I would have to say the Yamaha's - the 13" has more punch and the 16 just growls. I know, I know ............ anyway, back to the wrapping....

I also intend removing the tom arm holder from the 13" - do you suggest that I fill the hole in the shell or just wrap over it?

A last question - obviously when removing the hardware for the wrap, I will have to remove the badge and grommet as well. How do I do that without damaging the drum shell?

Thanks guys and cheers

Erik

3 attachments
Drums: Ludwig / Star / Tama / Yamaha
Snares: Arai /Mapex / Ludwig / Slingerland / Star / Tama
Cymbals: Meinl / Paiste / Tosco / Wuhan /Zildjian / Zyn
Posted on 7 years ago

Hi Black Label - This is a cool project. I have to say that those unwrapped shells look pretty darn nice. I'd love to leave a set like this uncovered and try my hand at wood finishing a set of drums.

I don't have experience with Bumwrap but I do with Precision Drum Co. and they are great people and I would have no issue recommending them. If you give them the exact details and precise measurements, they will arrive as you expect.

All the best with this project and update us all as you go.

-Doug

late 60s Ludwig Standard kit (blue strata)
late 60s Star kit (red satin)
Tama Rockstar Custom
a few snares ...
Posted on 7 years ago

If I may stoop to shameless self-promotion, don't forget to check http://walopus.com

:)

http://compactdrums.com/

http://walopus.com/
Posted on 7 years ago

Black Label

You need to be careful removing the grommet from the shell. I would recommend a pair of needle nose pliers and a very thin slotted screwdriver with light tapping from a hammer to bend the grommet in so it can be removed ( from the inside so not to destroy the badge) As you are re-wrapping them I would not worry about destroying the grommet and get new brass ones from the bay. There are many videos on YouTube about removing grommets. Installing new ones are pretty easy and there are lots of videos as well as guidance on the VDF site if you do a search. I recommend a machine head screw with washers. A very easy method.

If the wrap that is still on the drum is only taped on then it is easy to remove. If your not going to use the same mounting holes then it is actually up to you on if you want to go the extra distance and fill them. Be careful when removing the wrap not to shred the outer ply of wood. Heating it with a heat gun or hair dryer makes it a lot easier to take off.

I also need to shamelessly promote Magnus and the Walpous wraps. I have used many of his materials and they are extremely easy to install and come in some amazing wrap finishes.

I have also used others from Precision and other makers, IMHO, his are the easiest to work with and look great !

Looking forward to seeing the finished product

Michael

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 7 years ago

Hi guys - thank you very much for the input. I will certainly take it to heart. I had a look at the Walopus website and --- lo and behold - there I found the wrap that I was looking for (and it looks super good too!!!), the Salesman Sample Sparkle! BUT - typically my luck - it is also one of the THE most expensive wraps so I may need to reconsider that one Hurting Especially spending our local currency which is very weak against the $. However, the Champagne sparkle is a second choice and a bit cheaper - I am just waiting for the bass drum to arrive so I can confirm the size and then the project will commence. I will certainly keep you all posted and post pics once done.

Drums: Ludwig / Star / Tama / Yamaha
Snares: Arai /Mapex / Ludwig / Slingerland / Star / Tama
Cymbals: Meinl / Paiste / Tosco / Wuhan /Zildjian / Zyn
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here