Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Re-wrap Seams (Use glue or tape?)

Hello guys-

I'm rewrapping my 60s Sonor. I have done wraps in the past and have used 1.5 double sided tape. It is a bit thick for my taste, and I'm considering trying to find something else this time.

I want something that will hold down that last inch really tight but not be too high when it's all said and done at the overlap. I have heard of some using adhesive. (PS I don't want to do a butt joint, it will be overlap regardless since that's the original way it was).

Any favorite ways to treat this?

Many thanks as always.

Posted on 3 years ago

I used the tape and have not been pleased with how it lasts. The seams seem to come partly unstuck over time. The tape worked easily to begin with tho..

Rewrapped my 1970s Premiers.

Erich

Posted on 3 years ago
Posted on 3 years ago

I use double sided carpet tape and it works well.

1 attachments
Posted on 3 years ago

Be wary of contact cement.

Used some on chrome Mylar and it melted the wrap.

Posted on 3 years ago

I've only always ever used contact adhesive and it has held for years.

"If 'A' equals 'success' in life then 'A' equals 'X' plus 'Y' plus 'Z' where work equals 'X', 'Y' is play and 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut" - Albert Einstein.

1920s 14"x5" Ludwig Super Sensitive Dual Snare
1957 6 1/2" x15" Slingerland WMP Concert King
1938 8"x15" Leedy Broadway Standard
1947-53 14x6.5" NOB Ludwig & Ludwig Universal
...plus a bunch of mismatched Slingerlands that collectively make a pleasing noise.
Posted on 3 years ago

I use 3M adhesive on rewraps and seam repairs. Put tape on both edges to keep adhesive off unwanted places. While taped, I then lay a bead of super glue on the finished seam. It has never failed.

Posted on 3 years ago

Interesting comments above. I've never used anything other than contact cement, but probably haven't kept those drums long enough to know if it holds up over the long haul.

I have had a few sets done by Precision and Village Drum Shop. They both used contact cement. I have had a few problems, but not at the seams. The wrap bubbled when exposed to direct sunlight on relatively warm (even hot) days. I returned the bass drum that Precision did that had bubbled and they redid it. Again, didn't have it too long so I don't know if there were any long term issues. I did recommend to any buyer (via the advert) that they needed to exercise caution for using it in the conditions mentioned above.

I think this was less of an issue with original wraps and cements that were of different basic material no longer available for various reasons.

If I do another set (someday), I will consider the added super glue technique mentioned by amosguy.

Posted on 3 years ago
Action Another action Something else here