Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Re-Wrap Question

I have a Premier Bass drum that needs to be Re-wrapped. A Re-wrap is something i haven't done before so i want to practice a time or two before deciding whether or not I will re-wrap my Vintage drum or leave it to a professional.

My question is: Are Drums from the factory that are wrapped different widths than drums that left with a wrap?? I have found a cheap kit that i like the hardware that was originally factory finished in Flat black stain....Yuck, IMHO, so i want to re-wrap it in a wrap I would like.....so, After I add wrap to these shells,will they be too wide for proper head seating, or is this only an issue with re-wrapping over existing wraps ( which i wouldn't do)??

It seems like starting with a kit that doesn't have a wrap is a little less effort in prepping the shells than removing old wrap,glue, sanding etc etc....

Posted on 6 years ago

Yes, I believe so; and I believe the widths vary according to manufacturer. The type or brand of heads will make a difference too.

With the drum assembled and heads attached try inserting a credit card between the shell and the drum head hoop in 4 areas (12, 3, 6, & 9 o'clock). That's your approximate clearance.

There's some good youtube videos on re-wrapping drums.

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here