Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Re-wrap old Ludwig shells

Hello all...This next week I'm going to wrap 3 orphan shells to make a players set and to learn. This will be my first rewrap. I have done much research, mostly on this site, on procedure, wrap, etc. I guess some of my most interesting reading was on tape vs. glue. I suppose in a nut shell it's about split. Everyone had strong feelings on this one. Jammin Sams had a good write up on his site for tape, which he endorses, he also said he endorsed glue for some 17 yrs. Precision says glue. Said non glue would change sound and is not long term quality work. O.K....I respect everybodys opinion. I went with Sams wrap and tape method. Sam swears it doesn't change sound qualitys. Said he has RARELY had someone call and say there drums sounded different. The word rarely got my attention. So, I guess it has happened. Anyway, going with Sam and tape on these shells.

Now, removing glue resedue, this was another interesting topic on this site. Went back to threads from 09 to present. Ended up with a long list of different chemicals, from wd-40 to xeilene. I got the old wrap off useing a heat gun(also suggested here) worked well, no wood came off with it. So, I decided on xeilene on glue resedue. See what happens. I was told to prepare for a headache useing that stuff. It will be done outside, providing Mo. has some decent weather. I will be doing this by myself, which brings up concern on kick drum, getting wrap tight enough. So, a suggestion came up of useing high bond tape in several different places on the kick. That made sense to me, but have concerns with bubbling around lugs and such. We'll see. Sam doen't sell his tape except on the wrap, so, I ordered some from precision. $36.40. Sams wrap w/tape on wrap (pre-cut) plus shipping $157.00. I will post pics. as time goes on. Thanks for hearing me out, it's great to have a site like this one to share on.....Joe

Posted on 13 years ago

For glue removal....I use a gel/paste that I get through Home Depot. Its called contact adhesive remover. Made by Kleen-Strip. It works like a paint remover, but is for adhesives. It may take a couple of applications to get all of it off, but it works. Its also one of those that you should use gloves for and use in a very well ventilated area.

As far as the tape method vs glue...I've done them both. The tape is easier to do, but doesn't hold up as well I've found. The glue method is more permanent, but is a more professional looking job. The key to doing the glue method is to make sure the wrap is absolutely straight and roll it tight on the shell while doing it otherwise you will have a mess on your hands. A laminate hand roller helps a lot and checking everything for fit BEFORE you apply the glue is also a huge help. If you get it wrong on the first attempt, you can remove the wrap, but you'll have to strip the glue off and start again....

Below is a pic of why I choose to use the glue method instead of the tape method....lets just say extreme temperature changes can cause this, and the tape method allows too much expansion and contraction. Eventually, this is what you get.....

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks Ludwig-dude, I looked at some of that same stuff you're talking about(kleen-strip) yesterday at Walmart of all places. I think I'll go back and get some tomorrow. As far as the glueing goes, I think I'm going to go with the tape method, I've just got to see for myself, these drums will not see extreme heat or cold. I don't like going against your advice, this is a learning thing for me and may end up putting in old shell pile. Thanks again...Joe

Posted on 13 years ago

Well....if you don't like how the tape method comes out, you can always go back and glue the wrap down to the shells.

BTW, when using the adhesive remover, make sure you use PLASTIC putty knives/scrapers. This way you won't gouge the shell when removing the softened glue. Also, I find best results when you slather it on thick and wait between 30-40 minutes before attempting to remove the glue. Like I said, it may take a few applications to get it all off, but its worth the time to do it right.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here