Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Re-stain or not?

I have this 1959 Ludwig Auditorium Transition badge and would like some advice about whether to lightly sand it down and re-stain it?

I understand the originality, don't mess with history argument - but I think a 'freshen up' would really make it pop.

Any suggestions?

Here are a couple of pictures of the shell condition

Posted on 3 years ago

IMHO some drums where the wrap is in such bad shape should be brought back to life and need to be redone but that is the owners decision. One of the more prominent VD collectors and drum refurbishers Joey "Boom" has done a fantastic job preserving the drums in their "aged state" and they look fantastic. Some collectors like them in their "natural aged state" and others don't mind them refurbished. It really depends on what you plan on doing with the drum. If your going to continue to play it then go for it so it really shines. If your going to flip it then maybe put it for sale and offer to either restore or sell as it is. If you redo it you would need to disclose that it has been refurbished.

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 3 years ago

There's absolutely nothing visually unattractive about your drum; looks appropriately worn and used. However, it's yours, and you should do what you wish.

I suggest, before you go full-strip, to give Howard's Restor-A-Finish/Feed'n'Wax combo a try. This product is used for tables that may have water rings and slight marring etc, but doesn't warrant a full bare-wood restoration. I used it on a set of M-stamp Singerlands a couple of years ago,with excellent results. Those drums had been left near a window untouched for years, so certain panels were sun-drenched, yet the others were aged appropriately. The Howard's product slightly melds the old finish in with the new. I simply wiped it in; it suggests you can can apply with fine steel wool to even out nicks like your shell is showing. I got it at Lowes.

John/Levelpebble

Tama Superstar 81 Aqua bop
Rogers Cleveland BDP (x2), Silver bop, Champagne, Black/Gold Duco, WMP, Blue sparkle; Dayton Red Onyx;
Camco Oaklawn 12 14 20 5x14 Tuxedo WMP
LW 59 SC Blue Sparkle, WMP
WFL Gold Sparkle SC, WMP Compacto
Gretsch 49/50 Broadkaster WMP
Fibes Copper Forte
Remo MasterEdge Bop, Gold Crown, Mondo
Slingerland Conway Black Satin
70's MIJ Del Ray, my first and fav ok I'm lying here
Way Too Many Snares, She Says
Posted on 3 years ago

.... found some before, during, and after photos.

John/Levelpebble

Tama Superstar 81 Aqua bop
Rogers Cleveland BDP (x2), Silver bop, Champagne, Black/Gold Duco, WMP, Blue sparkle; Dayton Red Onyx;
Camco Oaklawn 12 14 20 5x14 Tuxedo WMP
LW 59 SC Blue Sparkle, WMP
WFL Gold Sparkle SC, WMP Compacto
Gretsch 49/50 Broadkaster WMP
Fibes Copper Forte
Remo MasterEdge Bop, Gold Crown, Mondo
Slingerland Conway Black Satin
70's MIJ Del Ray, my first and fav ok I'm lying here
Way Too Many Snares, She Says
Posted on 3 years ago

I'm more of the feeling that unless I am immortal, I am merely the custodian of anything I own. They are only original once so unless something is really far gone, I try to do as little as is necessary to preserve and make a drum usable and presentable.

You have only shown us a couple of close ups. How about some pictures that show the whole drum? Any blemish is going to look like crap close up. Seeing the whole drum put's it all in context. If the rest of the drum looks like that I would say a complete disassembly, polishing of the metal parts and good cleaning of the shell and perhaps a coat of Johnson's paste wax would be probably all I would do.

Posted on 3 years ago

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=65670

Here is a link to my original post about this drum - there are more pictures on that thread.

Thanks for your tips and advice.

Posted on 3 years ago

If it were mine I would detail it nicely but the leave the finish as is.

Mike

Posted on 3 years ago

I wouldn't attempt to stain it. You'll only make it look slightly better at a distance, but up close, it won't look the same and will stand out even more. We all get a few scars here and there through life's battles....old drums have scars, too.

2 cents

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 3 years ago

Ok - thanks for the advice.

I am in Cambodia at present and it can be hard getting various lotions and potions (it has only had a bit of furniture polish). I am heading back to Scotland in a month or so and should be able to track down some of the wax's you recommend.

New heads and (maybe) snare wires should complete it nicely.

Posted on 3 years ago

That drum is what would be called a "survivor". It is in great shape for its age, shows scars from its life, and has all of its original parts.

In the collector car world, in the not so distant past, a car in such condition would have been immediately stripped down to bare metal and restored to better than new condition. Not that long ago, people finally wised up and realized that an original car in "survivor" condition was much more interesting and valuable than something that was so perfect that it would spend all of its life on a trailer.

I would clean and detail that drum and leave it as is.

Posted on 3 years ago
Action Another action Something else here