Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Re-gluing tips : '69 Ludwig wrap lifting at seams?

Hey all -

Picked up a silver sparkle kit w/ some slight lifting to the wrap seam. Nothing major. Asking for some how-to tips {what glue to use, how to clamp, etc} to get it back where it should be.

Thanks in advance - Chris

Posted on 12 years ago

A little Crazy Glue type stuff and a simple clamp set-up will do the trick. See photo.

[IMG]http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n632/PurdieShuffle/bw1.jpg[/IMG]

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

A little Crazy Glue type stuff and a simple clamp set-up will do the trick. See photo.[IMG]http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n632/PurdieShuffle/bw1.jpg[/IMG]John

Thank you kindly, John.

I looked generally on Google & read another post that says he used Loc-tite glue. I'm a ways off from getting to the job, but now have an idea on how to fix this.

Best - Chris

Posted on 12 years ago

Chris - remember to use some blue paper painters tape opposite the seam to mask out and protect the wrap from squeeze-out after you clamp up. It's an easy fix, you'll do fine and the drum will be good to go for another 100,000 miles.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

Hey John -

I'll do. The lift isn't awful. I sure hope I don't wreck it with a glue malfunction!

Best - Chris

Posted on 12 years ago

Do be careful.

And when you go to get the RIGHT STUFF, dont settle for .... THIS IS THE EXACT SAME THING STUFF.

Because, that is why I have been on the hunt for a 16x16 Silver Mist 77 Rogers floor tom for the past two months. A seam repair went to hell. And MY floor tom in that color........ is now being used by someone else.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 12 years ago

There is one very small point that does need to see the light of day here. Crazy Glue, while very strong, will crystallize over time and become brittle. It also has the nasty habit of altering the wrap just a bit.

With that said, I use the stuff, too. But, this being a vintage drum history site and the depository for cool drum info ... thought I'd just toss it out there for completeness.

What Would You Do
Posted on 12 years ago

Super Glue (cyanoacrylate, not cyano acrolite) is notoriously hard stuff to keep under control, especially the 'regular' or 'thin' versions. You squeeze the bottle & nothing comes out, then you squeeze harder & the stuff gushes all over the place. Trying to clean it up is hard--you can't see where it has run, & you get your fingers in it & spread it all over the damn place--it can turn into a real cluster f&%*k pretty quick.

Drum wrap will glue down with regular old carpenters glue just fine, especially if it doesn't have to be forced back into place. Definitely mask off with blue tape, & practice your clamp-up with a dry run. Should be no prob...........marko

Posted on 12 years ago

From RogerSling

There is one very small point that does need to see the light of day here. Crazy Glue, while very strong, will crystallize over time and become brittle. It also has the nasty habit of altering the wrap just a bit. With that said, I use the stuff, too. But, this being a vintage drum history site and the depository for cool drum info ... thought I'd just toss it out there for completeness.

Do be careful. And when you go to get the RIGHT STUFF, dont settle for .... THIS IS THE EXACT SAME THING STUFF.Because, that is why I have been on the hunt for a 16x16 Silver Mist 77 Rogers floor tom for the past two months. A seam repair went to hell. And MY floor tom in that color........ is now being used by someone else.

John & Rogersling -

My mom would use Crazy Glue on EVERYTHING! (think she still does) back when you'd see those adds of the guy gluing his hardhat with him in it on an I-beam. I am VERY, VERY interested in doing this with the correct glue - no ifs, &'s or but's; keeping it as vintage as possible is the goal. In my book Crazy Glue is for something that has passed the properly repaired stage & entered the oh ^@%! phase.

Surfing a bit, like I wrote above, I found a post that recommended Loc-tite glue. Is this the right stuff? And also saw mentioned that "counter top glue" (?) - stuff used to glue laminate for kitchen counter tops - might be used ... or not.

All the best guys - Chris

Posted on 12 years ago

The 'countertop' glue is waterbased contact cement--a great choice, but hard to find, & you need to buy it by the quart, at least. You only need a couple drops. Loctite is basically a brand of glue--they make several kinds. Drum wrap is relatively easy to glue--there are lots of glues that would work. Why not call Precision Drum & talk to them, ore Jack Lawton?.....marko

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here