Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

RE-Chroming

I recently saw a Ludwig Keystone w/P38 5 x 14 snare drum at a local resale shop for $65, but the lugs, shell, hoops, and rods are pitted, and rusted pretty bad. Are there any companies that rechrome drums ? Would it be worth buying ? I did buy the hard plastic case for $25

thanks

Posted on 15 years ago

If the drum is an Acrolite, my personal opinion would be to wait for another one to come along in better shape since they are fairly common....though an excellent drum from a playing perspective. You could rechrome or pick up better condition parts on e-bay but personally I think it may cost you more in the long run.

If it is a chrome shell and I gather that may be the case based on your comment that the shell is pitted, then you may be looking at a Supraphonic or a student model steel or brass drum. Does the drum have bow tie or smooth supra style lugs and is there a raised rib around the center circumference of the shell?

Anyways...probably need a bit more info if you can give it.

Posted on 15 years ago

The drum is chrome w/raised rib in the middle, and Supra-style lugs. I might end up leaving it Toilet. I already have few too many project drums:confused:, but more input could change my mind.

thanks

Posted on 15 years ago

If its a Supra, for $65 I would buy it just as a player drum and clean up the hardware as best as possible. There's nothing you can do about the shell but sound wise it will be well worth it.

Posted on 15 years ago

From the_drum_dad

If its a Supra, for $65 I would buy it just as a player drum and clean up the hardware as best as possible. There's nothing you can do about the shell but sound wise it will be well worth it.

Well, I took your advice and bought it for $55. I cleaned it the best that I could. Boy !, that BonAmi is some good stuff. It sound absolutely great !

Posted on 15 years ago

It might not be pretty but I know it sounds great.

Posted on 15 years ago

$55.00 for a Supra, grezildwiglang...?

Man, you stole that babie ! Congrats, man !

You'll never get a dirty look from any audio tech on stage or in the studio when you set up with the world's most popularly-recorded snare.

Looks like ya got 'er pretty well cleaned up there, too.

Wouldn't hurt to e-mail Ludwig and inquire whether they'll replate the shell for ya... Even if shipping and cost comes to a hundred or so, it would be well worth it. But if you're happy with her as she is now, hell, so will everyone else be !

You're really lucky for such a great find, bro !

Dig it !

Posted on 15 years ago

Nice find grezildwiglang, I picked one up a year ago in similiar but not quit so bad shape pitting wise for $100. Cleaned it up and it is my main snare now. I have never heard a better sounding snare drum.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here