Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Re-Chrome or buy hoops in better condition?

There is some 'scuffing' on my 58's Gretsch die-cast hoops. The scuffing was there when I bought the drums a year ago.

I was thinking of looking into having them re-chromed - if that's possible OR just keep an eye out on ebay/cl for some mint condition hoops. If I bought new ones I'd save these original ones just because it's nice to have the original pieces.

The kit came to me as an original one-owner set. I don't feel good about fooling with the original parts unless I have to. So - my question is:

Is re-chroming here a good idea OR should I leave the hoops alone?

I think the drums would look a little nicer with hoops in mint condition. From what I can tell so far it would be cheaper to have the hoops re-chromed as opposed to buying mint condition vintage Gretsch die-cast hoops or Gibraltar die-cast hoops.

Posted on 13 years ago

If it was me, I would just save the old hoops and buy new ones if you want them to look mint.

They wasn't from the 50's/60's, but I just let a brand new set of 14"/8 lug die cast snare hoops that came off a new gretsch snare go for $60.

But it's up to you. I imagine havin' them re-chromed might be a little expensive too.

Steve

Posted on 13 years ago

Gary, It bothers you or you wouldn't be asking us, Get the originals rechromed, they will sand or bead blast them and then rechrome them to look oh so minty fresh.Jumping2

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 13 years ago

Hi Steve

My snare drum hoops are fine....and they're stick-choppers = very nice. It's my tom hoops that have most of the ware and are a concern to me. I will probably take your advice and NOT re-chrome. I checked with a re-chroming shop last year and they quoted roughly about $50 a hoop. When I factor in gas or postage charges I may be better off just waiting for something to show up on eBay or from my fellow Forum members. I'm in no hurry for this.......just thinking about it at this time. I'm still recovering from buying my latest Gretsch kit.....arrived last week.....expensive but worth every penny - very NICE!

Thanks,

From SRT80

If it was me, I would just save the old hoops and buy new ones if you want them to look mint.They wasn't from the 50's/60's, but I just let a brand new set of 14"/8 lug die cast snare hoops that came off a new gretsch snare go for $60. But it's up to you. I imagine havin' them re-chromed might be a little expensive too.Steve

Posted on 13 years ago

Mark - ya, I edited my post and took out the line stating "it matters not to me" because, as you say here - it's does bother me or I wouldn't be asking. I should have said - I might be okay with re-chroming and who has experience with these with Gretsch hoops??

Nothing slips by you - and that's a good thing, thanks.

From vintagemore2000

Gary, It bothers you or you wouldn't be asking us, Get the originals rechromed, they will sand or bead blast them and then rechrome them to look oh so minty fresh.Jumping2

Posted on 13 years ago

From Kona

Mark - ya, I edited my post and took out the line stating "it matters not to me" because, as you say here - it's does bother me or I wouldn't be asking. I should have said - I might be okay with re-chroming and who has experience with this with Gretsch hoops??Nothing slips by you - and that's a good thing, thanks.

Gary my friend, No need to explain, from one gretsch guy to another I understand!Yes Sir:)

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 13 years ago

Kona, I believe Mikey knows of and uses a company out his way. You might check with him, I think I remember it right that it was him from a post some time back?

Kevin
Posted on 13 years ago

Kevins - thanks.

There is a company in Vancouver BC that has experiance chroming drum hoops and I think there's one in Victoria (does lots of hi-end bike chrome work) that I will check out if I decide to go for it.

Posted on 13 years ago

OOps, forgot you're up yonder !!

Hope you find an affordable solution, man !!

Kevin
Posted on 13 years ago

why don't you just get them buffed out? there are places (around here anyway) that does chrome polishing. and depending on how bad the marks are, it should take'em right out. idid it myself on a small scale with lugs.

someone with a metal shop or a wheel shop that does metal/chrome polishing should have no problems buffing out the marks. i see'em done on old crager wheels all the time. i would think its alot cheaper than buying clean used ones.

the only thing i would guess, is if someone polishes them, they might have to take it easy do to age. you wouldn't want them to burn thru the chrome when buffing.

http://www.drummerfish.weebly.com for drum parts, drum promos , swag, promo media and more for sale
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here