Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Rare Ludwig Cob Supra Phonic 400? Identification Help.

I've had this drum for a little while now. Pulled it out of a dumpster and cleaned it up a bit. I removed the dampener and lo-and-behold....I see a glimmer of what appears to be Brass! Did some research that quickly brought me here and now I would like to post pics! I will say that the knob on the dampener was round....not the bat shaped one, and as far as I can tell....there doesn't seem to be any pitting on it either. However...this does have a B/O badge on it. Anyway...any more info on this drum would be great! It's good to be here! There is a staggering amount of great information!

-Mike

Posted on 15 years ago

more pics!

Posted on 15 years ago

Thats not brass you are seeing thats the plating worn through the chrome and nickle down to the copper base plating......that drum is definately Ludalloy aka aluminum.

Posted on 15 years ago

I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to tell me what this was or wasn't! Did I mention this sounds amazing? Thanks a lot Ludwig-dude!

Posted on 15 years ago

Ludalloy shells sound "better" to me than do the brass or bronze shells. Of course, sound is subjective. But I do like the Ludalloy shells better.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

I agree, sound is subjective....with that said, there is a reason that the Supraphonic is the most widely recorded snare of all time.... :D

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here