Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Rare 80'sSupra with strange Large Chicago Keystone batch, bowtie lugs...

Hello,

I just wanted to share this story. For me, it has always been difficult to decide between an nice b/o Acrolite or a well preserved keystone or b/o Supra. I know that a lot of us own actually a few of both. Me too, but my Acrolite mint b/o I passed to my daughter with the UFO case and stand. But that is actually my favorite drum. I own a couple of Supras, as I buy them and restore them. But never though about keeping both, because for me, being the same shell, and no pitting with the Acro, keeping the Supras always seems like a redundancy, and I get more money for the Supras anyway.

But, then again, a nice keystone or b/o Supra has something that actually makes you want to have it, even if the sound from it can usually be the same as the Acro, the Acro being more open to the tone.

Anyway, I miss my Acrolite, even if I can borrow it from the daughter and play it if I want to. But the heads and the entire drum looks like new so I dont want to spoil that. Its hers now.

So I went to the old bay fishing for a new toy to play with and I got this nice Supra, I paid 120.00 for it. Little pitting, no rust in rims or lugs.

I did not pay attention to the fact that the lugs in this thing are the classic bowtie that we found in the Acros, so in fact, it looks like a chromed ten lugs Acrolite, which is the answer to my question of which one to keep.

To make this Supra more weird, the batch resembles the big new Monroe ones, with the serial in the lower side. So I though from the pics that this must be a newer one.

The p-85 is a 12 hole black face, which does not go with the more modern ones, and the batch, instead if reading Monroe NC,it has no serial number and it reads Chicago USA, but it is a large Keystone like the new ones.

I guessed the item must be from the early 80's due to the older p-85 and the bigger round knob muffler, it has the thicker rims from post 79. But the batch supposed to be a B/O round cornered.

From what year from they started to use the new large keystone with Monroe NC printed on them?

Mine looks very similar, but has no serial and again, it reads Chicago instead of Monroe.

Is this weird or what?

I am just trying to figure this one out, and without a serial and the weird batch, its getting complicated.

Any input will be appreciated

Thanks.

Ryctor.

Also check the collection of shinny ones. band2

The weird Supra, my new Black Beauty 6.5x14w/tube lugs and my Powertone COB 5x14.

Enjoy, and I know, the pics suck!

Posted on 16 years ago

I bought a 6 1/2" deep almost identical to this in London at the start of 1986, maybe tail end of 1985.

I remember digging it so much because it had this re-issue of the keystone badge - I suspect there may have been a Ludwig anniversary around then?

I can't imagine them having been around with those badges for much before that otherwise I would have noticed (and I used to really pay attention to stuff like that then).

I don't have it anymore but it sounded like every other Ludwig Ludalloy snare i.e. really good. Sold it for pretty good money about a year ago and then ended up buying a real keystone 6 1/2" 'cause I couldn't be without on.

Will post a pic as soon as I figure out how to reduce the size.

David

Posted on 16 years ago

The one thing I don't like about the newer, larger keystone, is the way the top of it tucks under the top hoop. Does this bother anyone out there? Great drums though.

"Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail". John Wooden

Blaemire / Jenkins-Martin drums.

http://www.jenkinsmartindrums.com/
Posted on 16 years ago

Hello everyone! I noticed your post ryctor about a 80s supra snare. If you have noticed my previous posts I have been seeking info on a 1984 wine silk 11 Pc anniversary set of ludwigs that I bought for my son at the time. The supra snare that came with this set is exactly like the one you have pictured(if it is a 6.5 X 14 ). It also has a round blue reliable LudaLoy sticker on the inside of the snare> Antipodes, you are right about there being an anniversary the early part of 1980s. Mendozart, the snare I have has the larger keystone logo located near the upper rim but no part of the logo is under the head rim. Also this snare does not have any numbers on it(the keystone has crossed sticks with LUDWIG and ludwig drum Co. Chicago usa) but all the drums in the set have a keystone logo and all have ID numbers. I cannot get information pretaining to ID numbers from the 1980s? Also I have tried to post pictures using the webmasters instructions but no luck so far. TMTM

Posted on 16 years ago

Don't know if it helps but my old snare had serial number 3112878.

Posted on 16 years ago

I think it's a cool find. If it's an anniversary model it'll have a tag/badge on it.

the keystone badges were what they were...hahaha

www.vintageghost.com
Posted on 16 years ago

If id numbers will help you my Anniversary sets #s all start with 3093 for both basses and 6 suspended toms. For some reason the 16 inch tom (one floor) are 3094s. The last three numbers go from various numbers of 587 thru 752. I understand that numbers are not really indicators but, if you have access to 1980 numbers these may give you a timeline for your snare. TMTM

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

Hello everyone! I noticed your post ryctor about a 80s supra snare. If you have noticed my previous posts I have been seeking info on a 1984 wine silk 11 Pc anniversary set of ludwigs that I bought for my son at the time. The supra snare that came with this set is exactly like the one you have pictured(if it is a 6.5 X 14 ). It also has a round blue reliable LudaLoy sticker on the inside of the snare> Antipodes, you are right about there being an anniversary the early part of 1980s. Mendozart, the snare I have has the larger keystone logo located near the upper rim but no part of the logo is under the head rim. Also this snare does not have any numbers on it(the keystone has crossed sticks with LUDWIG and ludwig drum Co. Chicago usa) but all the drums in the set have a keystone logo and all have ID numbers. I cannot get information pretaining to ID numbers from the 1980s? Also I have tried to post pictures using the webmasters instructions but no luck so far. TMTM

So, this snare that you have, it sounds exactly like mine, did it came with your anniversary set in 1984?

So, there is a chance that this might be one of those? And yours has also the bowtie lugs instead of the imperials?

Mine also has the old blue ludalloy sticker in the inside. I am just wondering if this is in fact an 80's or a newer one, but from the strainer and your info, I believe I got a nice anniversary one from the 80's, which is cool!

Any more inputs will be appreciated,

Thanks.

Posted on 16 years ago

I do indeed believe you have an anniversary edition RYCTOR. The 12 hole strainer and the bowtie lugs are exactly the same as mine. As far as the sticker inside, it is blue in color and writing encircles the LUDALLOY stating the anti-galvanic properties of the drum and also says A RELIABLE PLATING PROCESS above the LUDALLOY. Also under the same LUDALLOY it says CORROSION RESISTANT. These stickers may be very common for the newer drums I don"t know. My other Ludalloy snare for my OBP 68-69s has the anti-galvonic stamped on the inside of the drum along with the date stamp. I have 4 snare drums. My oldest is a Premier(60s) and the newest is a Gretsch. Like I said before,I am having a hard time finding any information for the beginning to mid 1980s when Ludwig was going thru a transition period moving from Chicago to Monroe NC(I believe they moved in 1985). I am no expert or collector of ludwig drums but I feel you have an anniversary snare from this time period (or at least a more expensive snare). Others on this forum may help you better than myself. TMTM

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

Hello,I just wanted to share this story. For me, it has always been difficult to decide between an nice b/o Acrolite or a well preserved keystone or b/o Supra. I know that a lot of us own actually a few of both. Me too, but my Acrolite mint b/o I passed to my daughter with the UFO case and stand. But that is actually my favorite drum. I own a couple of Supras, as I buy them and restore them. But never though about keeping both, because for me, being the same shell, and no pitting with the Acro, keeping the Supras always seems like a redundancy, and I get more money for the Supras anyway.But, then again, a nice keystone or b/o Supra has something that actually makes you want to have it, even if the sound from it can usually be the same as the Acro, the Acro being more open to the tone.Anyway, I miss my Acrolite, even if I can borrow it from the daughter and play it if I want to. But the heads and the entire drum looks like new so I dont want to spoil that. Its hers now.So I went to the old bay fishing for a new toy to play with and I got this nice Supra, I paid 120.00 for it. Little pitting, no rust in rims or lugs.I did not pay attention to the fact that the lugs in this thing are the classic bowtie that we found in the Acros, so in fact, it looks like a chromed ten lugs Acrolite, which is the answer to my question of which one to keep.To make this Supra more weird, the batch resembles the big new Monroe ones, with the serial in the lower side. So I though from the pics that this must be a newer one.The p-85 is a 12 hole black face, which does not go with the more modern ones, and the batch, instead if reading Monroe NC,it has no serial number and it reads Chicago USA, but it is a large Keystone like the new ones.I guessed the item must be from the early 80's due to the older p-85 and the bigger round knob muffler, it has the thicker rims from post 79. But the batch supposed to be a B/O round cornered.From what year from they started to use the new large keystone with Monroe NC printed on them?Mine looks very similar, but has no serial and again, it reads Chicago instead of Monroe.Is this weird or what?I am just trying to figure this one out, and without a serial and the weird batch, its getting complicated.Any input will be appreciated Thanks.Ryctor.Also check the collection of shinny ones. band2 The weird Supra, my new Black Beauty 6.5x14w/tube lugs and my Powertone COB 5x14.Enjoy, and I know, the pics suck!

Hi,

I'm a new member as of yesterday...3/14/08 I just got the very same drum. Exactly as you describe, but mine has a serial no. of 3111708. I logged on to this site for help, and I'm finding many people with the same questions.

Have you found out any more on this drum?

Thanks,

Stix

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here