I may be mounting a Railmount and Diamond Plate Cymbalmount onto a 50's 22 bass drum. I will start by saying the bass drum is a 'rescue' and it has been repainted before I took possession and I also had to do some shell repair. All I'm saying is that - yes it is a virgin BD but it's real 'Vintage' value is not there because of previous alterations. Just wanted to get that out of the way. For sure I would NOT think of drilling the bass drum for mounts if it was an original factory drum.

I could use some advice on where exactly to drill for these mounts. I have some photos showing the rail mount more in the center but the owner says the mount is in an awkward position for playing. My 20 has the railmount at a not too bad of a location down to the left. My cymbal mount on the 20 is in the top-centre. It's okay but if I mount a large cymbal I have to tilt it away to the right a lot and it does look precariously located for the weight. I see some are mounted down to the right.

I want to try for the best locations for the hardware and I need some advice please.