Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Radio King wrap

I have been looking at a Radio King that has the wrap ending in between the lugs. I thought they all met under one of the lugs. It is WMP and very yellowed but is this the sign of a rewrap ?

Thanks, John

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

I have been looking at a Radio King that has the wrap ending in between the lugs. I thought they all met under one of the lugs. It is WMP and very yellowed but is this the sign of a rewrap ?Thanks, John

Slingerland almost NEVER put the seam of the wrap under the lugs; it almost always was between two lugs. If you have yellowed wmp, most likely it's not a re-wrap.

Posted on 17 years ago

The wrap on the 40's Radio Kings was actually layered between the plies of wood .You can check that out looking at the shell profile with a head off. There is a very close modern match to the R.K. wrap by Drum Maker .com called Aged White Diamond which is slightly yellowed and, has the large chunk pattern. I placed a sample against my 40's RK tom and,it blended right in !

Posted on 17 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]Right, as Rich K. indicates, "old" Radio Kings with original wrap should not have any seam under a lug. That would be a red flag for a re-wrap.

And in fact any factory-original Slingerland drum made before 1970 should not have a wrap seam directly under a lug. Post 1970 is a different story.

If we are talking pre-1957 Radio Kings, the wrap seam should be found in the middle between two lugs. It depends on what drum - bass, tom or snare - but for example on a pre-1957 solid maple Radio King snare drum with 8 lugs the seam should be in the middle of the second panel to the right of the 3-point strainer.

And to be clear, the wrap was only tucked on multi-ply shell drums, not on solid shells.[/COLOR]

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here