Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Radio King Toms

Any of my fellow drum geeks know the years that Slingerland used the 2 inch reinforcing rings, and what years they changed to the smaller sizes. I believe they went from just under 2 inch, to just under 1 1/2 inch, to the current. Any help would be appreciated, also wondering what years that they wrapped the toms and tucked the wrapping under one of the plys of wood and what year they stopped doing that.

Help

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago
Posted on 17 years ago

Well,

I have a '36 1/2 RK kit from the original owner. It has three maple reinforcing hoops on the bass and floor tom. Bass and floor have 2 5/8" hoops on the outside and a 1 1/2" hoop in the center. These are the NOT the single centered lug drums. The 13" is a center lug drum and it has two hoops. Both are 2 5/8" wide. All are 5/16" thick.

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks to all, it looks as if it's a pre-1956 because the wrap and ply were tucked under. There was no wrap on it and in bad shape when I got it. I'm experimenting with thin layers of MiniWax drum filler with great results to even out the gap where the ply and wrap were tucked. There was no badge, and from what I read that was common on early toms. It's definitely the 2 1/4 reinforcing rings and all the Slingerland washers on the inside, but the inside ply looks more like maple than mahogany. The outer ply is definitely mahogany. Wish me luck on finding some lugs for that old boy!!!

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here