Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Radio King Tom restoration

Hello Gurus,

An acquaintance of mine recently gave me his radio king floor tom to clean up. As I have never worked on a drum this old before I figured posting my thoughts would be helpful before I screw something up.

The goal is to get the nickel and steel cleaned up and polished as best as possible, true the edges again and freshen them up, and remove as much of the yellowing from the wrap as possible.

I planned to soak the metal in Dawn polish with Flitz

For the wrap I was thinking of lightly wet sanding with a high grit and then using the usual Novus 2 and 1 treatment.

Truing and re-cutting the edges I should be ok on, but there is a little bit of ply separation between the bearing edge and re-rings. Nothing is falling off, but it looks bad. From what I understand this is common on these drums. Any suggestions on gluing and clamping?

Full disclosure, he doesn't care what I do to the drum as long as it's playable. I obviously want to get it as close to original as possible or I wouldn't be here.

Thanks in advance for your help!

3 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

in my opinion, if the drum works it's better not to touch it! if you have no experience, forget it! if you want a new Slingerland drum take an 70s/80s year (60s with re-rings)

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here