Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Radio King Tom Problem

Ok, I bought this drum knowing that there would be some separation with the ply on the shell. I've done projects before, a little didn't bother me.

Anyway, take a look at the picture, as you will be able to see, it was a little more of an issue than I anticipated. About a quarter of the shell has areas of separation and wood coming off (or came off).

First question, do I continue with this project, glueing down the pieces sticking up, and puttying in the areas where the ply has come off?

If so, what glue is best? Just a wood glue?

Or, since this is a early 50's Radio King project, should I just buy another 50's 16" tom (somehow) and sell this one off?

If you saw any of my other posts, I am wanting to wrap this in Champagne when it's ready.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Kevin

1 attachments
1961 Ludwig Super Classic 22,13,16,18, WFL BR Snare WMP
1951-52 Slingerland Radio King Krupa Outfit 24,13,16 Champagne Sparkle
1960s/70s Polaris MIJ 20,12,16 Red Sparkle
2005 Gretsch Catalina Club WMP First Run
2008 Pearl Masters MCX 20,10,12,14f,16f & 14 Diamond Glitter
1999 Yamaha Stage Custom 22,10,12,14r,16f. Marina Green

...& many more...
Posted on 14 years ago

Lets start from your last question, do you think this is above your head or skill level?? then you can determine what you need to do,OK here we go,to wrap the shell it will need to be the same width the entire radius of the shell, which means you'll have to use wood filler, where the plies are lifting, you can re glue them, with wood glue!! use a heavy can to hold the plies together as the glue dries, after you have gotten the plies level with the shell, that's when you'll do the wood filling you need an orbital sander, really!! to prep the shell, and to level the wood filler out, it isn't a big deal but it will take some time, and if you are going to use old drums you need to learn how to work on them, good luck!! Jumping2

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here