Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Radio King snare retoration

This came with a couple coats of house paint but in all-around good shape. I had wanted a single-ply version but am very impressed with the sound of this 3-ply. The lugs match the rest of my RKs and I used a furniture oil by Sam Maloof on all the drums. They all came originally with painted finishes in various stages of flaking off and I didn't want to repaint the shells.

3 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Nice job! What is it with former owners using house paint on these old drums and drilling extra holes??!!!??? Why can't people just fix it the right way and leave the finish be? DOH

Posted on 14 years ago

House paint in this case was a blessing because it scraped off real easy. Minimal sanding on the shell. The extra holes were for a heater that the original owner installed. I bought it from Corey DeMello (great guy) and he spoke to the owners widow who said her husband played the hell out of the drum. I am continuing the cycle :)

I'm getting so used to retuning calf heads that it seems normal haha. There is indeed something about the rebound feel of calf that's kind of addictive. I'm gigging with calf on both sides of the bass drum (26") and there's nothing like it. After a while you start to anticipate what the current weather will do to the heads and adjust accordingly. I find that getting to a studio or venue an hour early gives the drums enough time to adjust. There's also a sonic difference in sticks and brushes hitting calf instead of mylar. Anyway it's a lot of fun.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here