Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Radio King Snare - Finished - Pics

Well it took a little time to get this one done. I received the snare in pretty rough shape, it had been brush painted red, one nickel clam, one chrome, the usual hodgepodge of parts from a life of use and abuse. This is going to be a player, so I'm sure I will go through this process again with this drum at some point in life.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]So...the red one is the rehabbed one and the black was the one in original shape, right ?

Cool Dude

Nice job ! But....

Details...we want details !!!!! Are the lugs repros ? What is the finish...wrap or lacquer ? etc.....

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Jaye - It took me a long time to get those red brush strokes just crappy enough to ruin a perfectly good black finish! :)

All the hardware is original. Cleaned everything up the best I could then sent it off to the plater, got it back and polished everything again here at the house.

The paint is actually Valspar high gloss black enamel shot from a spray can. 5 to 7 coats, I can't remember, but I color sanded up 1500 - 2000 grit, then used Maguires auto stuff to cut down to a high gloss. The grommet as usual was the biggest hold up on the thing. The maple was a little thicker than other shells I have and my standard grommets would not go through the shell and crimp, so I tinkered with making my own grommets which I was pretty close to pulling off then I thought of something, I had a grommet that was long enough to make it through the shell but the "rim" was too big, so I reversed the grommet and crimped/rolled it from the badge side. FYI Precision suggested the I counter sink the shell to make the original grommet fit and wasn't about to do that.

Here are a few shell pics and a couple of more of the original condition - I posted these a while back but here they are again.

58 - Slingerland Duco
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="Purple"]Complementi, Cavaliere ! Clapping Happy2 Very nicely done !! (for grommets I usually have to custom cut the stems...so I buy the long ones and just cut 'em down to match whatever shell I happen to be on).[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Great Job!! Are these for the Ducos? Just curious though...what was wrong with the original finish(Or was it not original)

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 14 years ago

Hey thanks guys!

Bum - The original (not) was a brushed on pinkish red. This one is for everything which is why I went back with black. I actually have a matching gold/black duco for the duco kit. Still no floor tom though :(

58 - Slingerland Duco
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

WOW!!!! That is really a nice job. sometimes those rattle cans can suprise you if you know what you're doing Cool1 I have a unrestored radio king from the 50's, well I don't know if it is considered un restored I have had to find a correct throw off and a correct snare wire,plus I've put REMO coated weatherking ambassadors with matching batter head. I've never have completely disassembled the drum!! The wrap is still in good shape still has a shine to it. I've cleaned the rings but other than that, the few things thats been done it's still the way it was when I got it. The best part is I don't remember where I got this drum I remeber it being given to me but don't remember who or when, just been packin it around, finally got a kit so I dug it out and did some research and just about had heart attack when I found how much it's worth. I'm really glad I hung on to it all these years.

So take good care of your new drum cause that's what it looks like!

VERY NICE JOB, WELL DONE.Cool1

pompa mfw

mr. pearl

Mr. Pearl and his slingy snare.14"x6 1/2" RADIO KING Aqua BLUE SPARKLE.14"x5" Rogers dynasonic cob. Early Pearl Fiberglass 22x14,8"x7 1/2",10"x9 1/2", 12'x8",13"x11",16"x16" Pearl Drums Rock, Rogers drums still #1,Old Slingerlands Play for Ever!!
Posted on 14 years ago

Good job hanging on to your RK. I absolutely love them, I have a solid maple DW and my RK's (4) flat out spank it's butt. Keep it, love it, and play the heck out of it!! :) Your next snare should be a 60's Supraphonic. With those two snares you can cover a lot of ground.

58 - Slingerland Duco
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here