Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Radio King Quiz!

So, I'm spending the morning updating the catalog I've put together for my vintage snare drums and realized that I've got several questions concerning one of my Radio King snare drums that I'm not capable of answering.

I researched the site provided by Dr CJW, which is flat out EXCELLENT (thanks, "doc"!), but I still need some additional information. I'm probably just a "slow learner". To help out, I've posted a few pics of the drum in question.

Soooooooooooo...... here we go:

From what I've researched, my Radio King would either be labeled a Gene Krupa Super Radio King or simply a Super Radio King. I'm not exactly sure when the "Gene Krupa" label was dropped. I believe mine was built somewhere between 1944 and 1945, based on the Slingerland Aluminum (1st version) Cloud Badge and the Super Strainer ("Clamshell") on the drum. I also believe that the shell is solid maple, along with the reinforcement rings.

Now, here are my questions regarding this one:

1. I read that there should be a Slingerland Patent Stamp on the left side of the throw-off, which mine doesn't have. Were some throws built without the stamp during this time period?

2. I also read that the clamshell on the Radio Kings between 1941 and 1955 should feature a large shell bracket with a screw-type snare attachment directly to the body. However, although mine does have the large shell bracket, it's got a slotted snare attachment in lieu of the screw-type. This configuration, I believe, was featured on the Radio Kings built between 1940 and 1941. Was there some "mixing and matching" going on during this time period that would explain this discrepancy?

3. I noticed that a lot of Radio Kings from this time period feature the large washers on the interior of the shell with the Slingerland Chicago logo engraved in them. Mine does not have this type of washer. Did some come with, and others without, the engraved version of the washer?

4. I realize that the earliest Radio Kings came with the telescoping throw-off arm. When did the company switch to the throw-off arm featured on mine, which doesn't have the "telescopic" feature?

5. Finally, did Gene Krupa ever actually play a 14 x 8 Radio King snare, which is the size of mine, featuring the "Super Strainer" and 16 beavertail lugs? I've never actually seen any pics of him using a snare of this size and configuration.

THANKS SO MUCH for taking the time to read this lengthy post. I'm simply trying to obtain the most accurate information available to add to my cataloging effort and I have no doubt that this forum is the place to go for it.

Hope everyone has a GREAT week-end!Clapping Happy2

Posted on 16 years ago

These are great questions and I can think of one person that could answer them without any doubt behind the answers.. So, I emailed him today to see how he is doing.

Other then that, I can speculate and or give sketchy answers to these questions...

David

Posted on 15 years ago

Appreciate your help, David!Help2

Posted on 15 years ago

I'm pretty sure Gene never used a snare that deep. Maybe he has played on one before a few times but who knows. I don't recall ever seeing/hearing with a snare deeper than 6 1/2 though, but he very well could of on a rare instance.

Bopworks Hickory Jazz Drumsticks
http://www.youtube.com/user/mgimino
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here