Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Radio King opinion needed

Someone local is selling these Radio Kings (9x13, 12x14, 16x28) and claiming they've been in the family since the 1930's. Original calfskin heads, no apparent extra holes or modifications, cloud badge on the bass drum only.

Being unfamiliar with vintage Radio Kings, do you see anything that would confirm the age or accuracy of the drums to being original? And what would you value this kit to be?

Your expert opinions are valued, thanks for your time.

-Jamie

Posted on 2 years ago

Just on a quick glance there are some 'red flags' here. The tom in the foreground has post '55 lugs and there is a distinct possibility all those drums have been rewrapped. The tom in the background has a mix of lugs. More pictures/info needed but definitely not a 30's time capsule. Proceed with caution.

Posted on 2 years ago

Slingerfan, thanks for your reply. I saw the finish on the 12" lugs were much brighter than the others and with an alternate photo, I now see the 14" has one newer replacement lug and another is cracked horizontally. Didn't consider a rewrap, but that does look too pristine to be from the 1930's...

The guy is asking $800.

Posted on 2 years ago

It’s possible the drums with different lugs were repaired at some point due to the older style lugs cracking. If the wrap is original, which it could be, I would be surprised. Still, if he’s asking $800, it’s worth a closer look. I think you couldn’t lose at $500-700 on those. Surely that bass drum will bring down the house!🥁🥁

Drum Kits
1965 Ludwig Clubdate Oyster Blue
1966 Ludwig Clubdate Oyster Black
1969 Ludwig BB Blue Oyster Keystone Clubdate
1971 Ludwig BB Black Oyster
Early 60's Camco Oaklawns Champagne Sparkle
Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here